What are the prerequisites for studying Lie theory and which books should I use?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Saussy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Prerequisites Theory
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Saussy
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I have been working on getting the necessary mathematical education to start working on more advanced physics. The need for Lie theory has come up. I already know topology and differential geometry. Are there any other prerequisites to begin studying Lie theory? What books should I look into for the prerequisites and Lie theory itself?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Saussy! :smile:

I've got two excellent references for you:
  • Introduction to Smooth Manifolds by Lee. Fine, this is a differential geometry book, but it has quite a few material on Lee groups and stuff. It won't be comprehensive, but it's certainly worth a look.
  • Matrix groups by Baker: you won't need too much differential geometry for this one. Knowing the basic notions is good enough. It also deals a lot with linear algebra and matrices. But it's an excellent reference for Lie groups and Lie algebra's as well!