Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the properties of de Sitter space?

1. Feb 11, 2016 #1
    I am having a hard time finding information that I can understand on de Sitter space. One main question I have is if it is eternal.

Also, does the recent discovery of gravitational waves have any impact on it? I've seen mentions of de Sitter space in multiverse theories.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2016 #2

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

1. De Sitter space is a space with no matter or radiation and a positive cosmological constant. This kind of space is static and eternal. It doesn't, however, describe the real universe, as the real universe has matter in it. But it may be a decent approximation of the far future of our universe.
    2. The direct detection of gravity waves has no impact on this question.

4. Feb 11, 2016 #3
    Is this space purely theoretical? How do we know it exists?

5. Feb 11, 2016 #4

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

It's a purely theoretical construct.

6. Feb 11, 2016 #5

strangerep

Science Advisor

Well, all space is "purely theoretical". It's a construct that's useful for organizing perceived events.

As for de Sitter spacetime, some people advocate that de Sitter relativity should be the new "special relativity in the 21st century". Whereas Minkowski spacetime used to be regarded as what you get when there's no gravitating matter, the existence of a nonzero cosmological constant suggests that the correct spacetime with "no gravitating matter" is de Sitter, not Minkowski.

YMMV.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook