What Are the Real-World Applications of Perfect Numbers Beyond Mersenne Primes?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
matqkks
Messages
283
Reaction score
6
Why are perfect numbers important?
What is the best way of introducing these numbers to a first course on number theory?
I could not find any application apart from the relation to Mersenne primes. Are there any other applications of perfect numbers?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
matqkks said:
Why are perfect numbers important?
What is the best way of introducing these numbers to a first course on number theory?
I could not find any application apart from the relation to Mersenne primes. Are there any other applications of perfect numbers?

To be honest, I doubt perfect numbers are useful at all. Surely in a number theory course, your students can appreciate a theory that doesn't have an application but just intrinsic beauty?
If I were to teach the course, I would lay a link with history and the Pythagoreans.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person