That sort of question might be a sign of taking the idea of "real-world" applicability a little too far. Sometimes, things can have a real-world "use" if they merely strengthen your understanding of real world phenomenon, rather than being directly applicable. It can sometimes be a piece of the fabric that holds a subject together.
In contrast, I got disillusioned with topology on the basis of entire books and hundreds and hundreds of pages that I could not see any real world application for, as opposed to one single function that can fit in one line, which might serve as a useful example to illustrate the theory. That should put it into perspective. I don't think it make sense to question the applicability of every little example. It's just something to practice on and gain experience with the subject, and that is real-world applicability. I'm not saying it's not a fair question to ask or an interesting question, but the way it is phrased suggests there might be some kind of underlying over-thinking going on.