What Are the Ring Homomorphisms from Z[X] to Z[X]?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter esisk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
esisk
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
what are all the ring homomorphism from Z[X] to Z[X]. Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What are all the ring homomorphisms from Z[X] to R for a ring R? If you can't do that, then you can't do this problem.
 
Dear Hurkyl,
While I (I hope) do see the point behind you remark, quite frankly I do not appreciate it as it is redundant. I am genuinely asking for help and you are conjecturing when one is not able to solve this problem. I thank you
 
It looked like a request for an answer, not a request for help -- it is strictly against our policy to hand out answers to homework problems.

My response was meant in all seriousness -- you should have seen in your class a very powerful theorem about homomorphisms from polynomial rings. And sometimes, it's easier to find/work out a solution when you consider the general case without regard to the specific. I assume from your response that you were able to recall the answer? (or able to track it down in your book?)