Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the rules to know when to use absolute value?

1. Sep 19, 2015 #1
    Specifically when doing integration problems. I know the indef integral of cosx/sinx+1 is ln(sinx+1) + C, but absvalue is not required here. I think it's because the sine fn must be >= 0 or it's undefined? What about in other cases, is there a general rule to know when to use absvalue?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The integrand should be written as cosx/(sinx + 1). Without parentheses what you wrote is ##\frac{cosx}{sinx} + 1 = cotx + 1##.

Also, ##\int \frac{\cos(x) dx}{\sin(x) + 1} = \ln|\sin(x) + 1| + C##
    You really should have it, unless there is information given that it's not needed.
    No, that's not true. ##-1 \le \sin(x) \le 1##. Take a look at a graph of y = sin(x).

4. Sep 19, 2015 #3
    I see. So the answer SHOULD have it. We actually don't use a book, so the answers I find to the worksheet problems aren't consistent. Some use absvalue and some do not.

There definitely should be a parenthesis around the denominator there. I am aware, but neglected it!

Thanks

5. Sep 20, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]\int \frac{1}{x}dx= ln|x|+ C[/itex]. If you know that x will not be negative then you do not need the absolute values.

For example, [itex]\int_1^2 \frac{1}{x}dx= \left[ln(x)\right]_1^2= ln(2)[/itex]. Since x runs between 1 and 2, it is never negative and the absolute value is not needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  6. Sep 20, 2015 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In fact, there should be two of them -- parentheses -- not just a single parenthesis. :oldbiggrin:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  7. Sep 20, 2015 #6
    Yeah, one set around the the angle of sine too.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook