What are the solutions to csc x + 2 = 0 for 0 <= x < 2 \pi?

  • Thread starter Thread starter iBankingFTW
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 8K views
iBankingFTW
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Solving csc x + 2 for 0

Homework Statement



"Solve csc x + 2 = 0 for 0 <= x < 2 [tex]\pi[/tex]

Choices are:

A. [tex]\pi[/tex]/6 and 5[tex]\pi[/tex]/6
B. [tex]\pi[/tex]/6 and 7[tex]\pi[/tex]/6
C. 4[tex]\pi[/tex]/3 and 5[tex]\pi[/tex]/3
D. 7[tex]\pi[/tex]/6 and 11[tex]\pi[/tex]/6


Homework Equations



csc x =2
sin x = 1/2 = 30 degrees = [tex]\pi[/tex]/6

The Attempt at a Solution



From csc x + 2 = 0

I get csc x = 2

Which is:

1/sin = 1/2 and I know that 1/2 is [tex]\pi[/tex]/6


So the answer is either A or B but I don't understand where the second answer comes from.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You messed up your Algebra. You will get 2 solutions b/c Cosecant takes on that value at 2 places. Sine is negative in what Quadrants? Thus, Cosecant is also negative at those 2 places.
 
Last edited:
Ohhhh, ok. So [tex]\pi[/tex]/6 is in Quadrant I so that's correct and then 5[tex]\pi[/tex]/6 is in Quad. 2 so that's also correct but 7[tex]\pi[/tex]/6 is in Quad. 3 which is negative.

So the answer is A.?
 
No. Where is Sine negative? Definitely not Quad 2 & 3.
 
Tangent is positive in Quadrant 3 (ASTC as I learned it), so wouldn't sine be negative there?

I asked my dad about this too and he said that the answer is B. but I don't understand because 7[tex]\pi[/tex]/6 is in the third quadrant and isn't that negative if it's sine?
 
Last edited:
Did you fix your first step?

You're not solving for [tex]\csc x=2[/tex] ... it's [tex]\csc x=-2[/tex]

Check your Algebra again! So your values should be in Quadrants 3 & 4 ...
 
Oh jeez, I'm such an idiot. I hate making little mistakes like that. So the answer is B. then since 7[tex]\pi[/tex]/6 is in Quadrant 3?
 
iBankingFTW said:
Oh jeez, I'm such an idiot. I hate making little mistakes like that. So the answer is B. then since 7[tex]\pi[/tex]/6 is in Quadrant 3?
Where else? One more solution!