Find all possible solutions of x^3 + 2 = 0

In summary: The solutions to the equation ##z^n = w## are equally "spread" around a circle with the origin as the center and spaced ##2\pi/n##.It's relevant after you pull the linear factor out of ##x^3 + 2## and are left with a quadratic polynomial factor.The radius of your circle will be ##2^{1/3}##
BurpHa
Homework Statement
Find the exact solutions of ##x ^ 3 + 2 = 0##
Relevant Equations
##x = \frac {-b \pm \sqrt {b ^ 2 - 4ac}} {2a}##
I actually know one way to solve,

##x ^ 3 + 2 = 0##
##x ^ 3 + \left (\sqrt[3] 2\right) ^ 3 = 0##
##\left(x + \sqrt[3] 2\right) \left(x ^ 2 - x\sqrt[3] 2 + \left(\sqrt[3] 2 \right)^2\right) =0##
##x + \sqrt[3] 2 = 0, x = -\sqrt[3] 2##
##x ^ 2 - x\sqrt[3] 2 + \left(\sqrt[3] 2\right)^2 = 0, x = \frac {\sqrt[3] 2} {2} \pm \frac {\sqrt[3] 2 \sqrt 3 } {2}i##
So, the solution set is ##\{-\sqrt[3] 2, \frac {\sqrt[3] 2} {2} \pm \frac {\sqrt[3] 2 \sqrt 3 } {2}i \}##

However, I want to approach it like this,

##x ^ 3 + 2 = 0##
##x ^ 3 = -2##
##x = \sqrt[3]-2##
What could I do next? From what I see, there is only one solution in this way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you heard of the polar form of complex numbers?

Your approach is quite complicated, although you have rationalised denominators at least.

Likes scottdave, DaveE and topsquark
BurpHa said:
Homework Statement:: Find the exact solutions of ##x ^ 3 + 2 = 0##
Relevant Equations:: ##x = \frac {-b \pm \sqrt {b ^ 2 - 4ac}} {2a}##

I actually know one way to solve,

##x ^ 3 + 2 = 0##
##x ^ 3 + \left (\sqrt[3] 2\right) ^ 3 = 0##
##\left(x + \sqrt[3] 2\right) \left(x ^ 2 - x\sqrt[3] 2 + \left(\sqrt[3] 2 \right)^2\right) =0##
##x + \sqrt[3] 2 = 0, x = -\sqrt[3] 2##
##x ^ 2 - x\sqrt[3] 2 + \left(\sqrt[3] 2\right)^2 = 0, x = \frac {\sqrt[3] 2} {2} \pm \frac {\sqrt[3] 2 \sqrt 3 } {2}i##
So, the solution set is ##\{-\sqrt[3] 2, \frac {\sqrt[3] 2} {2} \pm \frac {\sqrt[3] 2 \sqrt 3 } {2}i \}##
This is correct
BurpHa said:
However, I want to approach it like this,

##x ^ 3 + 2 = 0##
##x ^ 3 = -2##
##x = \sqrt[3]-2##
What could I do next? From what I see, there is only one solution in this way?
There are still three solutions to that equation.

Likes topsquark
PeroK said:
This is correct

There are still three solutions to that equation.
Could you tell me more? I've heard about polar form of complex numbers. How could polar form of complex numbers help in this case? Thank you.

Likes scottdave, topsquark and BurpHa
As PeroK wrote, writing a complex number in polar form and using Euler's formula + de Moivre's theorem will give you the best insights and graphical intuition.

Another standard way to find the ##n##-th complex roots of a real number is to write the variable ##x## in your initial equation as a generic complex number ##a+ib## and then... well, see what happens if you are interested.

Likes BurpHa
FranzS said:
As PeroK wrote, writing a complex number in polar form and using Euler's formula + de Moivre's theorem will give you the best insights and graphical intuition.

Another standard way to find the ##n##-th complex roots of a real number is to write the variable ##x## in your initial equation as a generic complex number ##a+ib## and then... well, see what happens if you are interested.
Thank you.

Your "relevant equations" is not really relevant here...

Anyway, you found one solution which has real part = 0 and positive imaginary part.
The solutions to the equation ##z^n = w## are equally "spread" around a circle with the origin as the center and spaced ##2\pi/n##.
You now have one solution ## z_1 = 2^{1/3} \mathrm{i} ##.
Now you can use simple geometry to find the other two solutions.
The radius of your circle will be ##2^{1/3}##

Last edited:
Likes BurpHa
malawi_glenn said:
Your "relevant equations" is not really relevant here...
It's relevant after you pull the linear factor out of ##x^3 + 2## and are left with a quadratic polynomial factor.

Likes BurpHa and SammyS

1. What is the general approach to finding all possible solutions of x^3 + 2 = 0?

The general approach is to use the cubic formula, which is a formula that can be used to find the solutions of any cubic equation. This formula involves taking the cube root of a complex number and can be quite complex to use.

2. Can the solutions of x^3 + 2 = 0 be found using simpler methods?

Yes, there are simpler methods that can be used to find the solutions of x^3 + 2 = 0. One method is to use synthetic division to factor out the root -2, leaving a quadratic equation that can be easily solved. Another method is to use the rational root theorem to narrow down the possible rational solutions.

3. Are there any special cases in which the solutions of x^3 + 2 = 0 can be found easily?

Yes, if the equation is in the form of x^3 + c = 0, where c is a constant, then the solutions can be found by taking the cube root of -c. However, this only applies to this specific form of the equation.

4. How many solutions does x^3 + 2 = 0 have?

Since this is a cubic equation, it can have up to three solutions. However, it is possible for some or all of these solutions to be complex numbers.

5. Can the solutions of x^3 + 2 = 0 be expressed in terms of radicals?

No, the solutions of x^3 + 2 = 0 cannot be expressed in terms of radicals. This is because the cubic formula involves taking the cube root of a complex number, which cannot be expressed in terms of radicals.