What are the solutions to this equation called?

• Thread starter Labyrinth
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a specific equation involving partial derivatives and various constants. The speaker mentions the use of Spherical Bessel functions and possibly Hermite polynomials in finding solutions for this equation. The other person is unsure of a term mentioned by the speaker, which turns out to be Gegenbauer polynomials.
Labyrinth
[tex]\frac{-\hbar}{2m} \frac {\partial^2\psi(r)} {\partial r^2} + \frac {\hbar^2l(l+1)}{2m} \frac {\psi(r)}{r^2}+v(r)\psi(r)= E \psi(r)[/tex]

It's seen in this part of a Susskind video lecture.

He mentions some kind of polynomial or function that I don't recognize for the solutions. He says to look it up and I would love to but I'm unable to make out what he said. Any ideas?

Thank you for your time.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
"Spherical Bessel functions." May also have been a mention of Hermite polynomials.

Bystander said:
"Spherical Bessel functions." May also have been a mention of Hermite polynomials.

Thanks for the quick reply. Will check those out.

He says something that sounds like "giggenval", but I cannot find any reference to something that sounds like that.

"eigen value(s)"

Bystander said:
"eigen value(s)"

Nah, he says that all the time, and there's definitely no 'you' sound at the end. It's like "vaul" or "vaula".

1. What is the definition of a solution in math?

A solution in math refers to a value or set of values that, when substituted into an equation, make the equation true. In other words, it is the value or values that satisfy the equation.

2. What are the different types of solutions in math?

There are three main types of solutions in math: real solutions, complex solutions, and imaginary solutions. Real solutions are any value that is a part of the real number system, while complex solutions include both a real and imaginary component. Imaginary solutions are solutions that involve the imaginary unit, denoted by "i".

3. How do you find solutions to an equation?

To find solutions to an equation, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. The specific method used depends on the type of equation and the number of variables involved. Solving an equation involves manipulating the equation so that the variable is isolated on one side and the solution value(s) on the other side.

4. What is the difference between a solution and a root?

In math, a solution and a root are often used interchangeably. However, a root specifically refers to the value(s) that make the equation equal to zero. A solution, on the other hand, can refer to any value(s) that satisfy the equation, including those that do not make the equation equal to zero.

5. Can an equation have more than one solution?

Yes, an equation can have more than one solution. This is especially true for equations with higher degrees or multiple variables. For example, a quadratic equation can have two solutions, while a cubic equation can have three solutions.