What are the standard dimensions for paper size 297x210mm?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chawki
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Paper
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
chawki
Messages
504
Reaction score
0

297-210
87mm.
 
Attachments
  • Sheep of paper.JPEG
    Sheep of paper.JPEG
    19.1 KB · Views: 555
Physics news on Phys.org
I would interpret the question like that too, but then feel worried because that would be too simple. I'm confused as to what this question is asking exactly...
 
Are you sure one of the other edges isn't closer? I'd think that point will be closest to one of the long sides of the paper.
 
You can't just assume that its 87, you need to know something about the other two lengths.

Daw a rectangle. Draw a diagonal through it. Draw 2 lines, perpendicular to each other and parallel to the sides, intersecting at a point on the diagonal.

so you should be looking at this: (see attached)

How do the two triangles relate? You need to try to find a relationship between a and b, and solve for them. Once you do that, compare their values to the known sides.
 
Attachments
  • 1.png
    1.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 451
Last edited by a moderator:
wow..ok the orange triangles have the same angle, but still can't find how to get a.
 
I think i get it.
Tan O = 297/210 = 1.414
O=54.73 degrees

Tan O = 87/a
a=87/tan O
a=87/1.414
a= 61.53mm ?
 
Attachments
  • Sheet.JPG
    Sheet.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
D H: Sorry! Didn't mean to, like I said I was tired.

Chawki: Exactly, nicely done. You can do it in another simpler way, too, not involving any trig functions like tangent, sine, or cosine. Can you figure out how?