What are the standard sizes for nozzle thickness in pressure vessel design?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
minoroctave
Messages
32
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If I'm looking for standard sizes of nozzle thickness.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


Should I be searching for the standard thickness of plates that are used to form the nozzle?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
SteamKing said:
What kind of nozzle?

it says " 4”-600# flanged" pipe
 
(1) What is background to this question ?

(2) Any pictures, drawings or links to manufacturers website that you can post ?
 
Nidum said:
(1) What is background to this question ?

(2) Any pictures, drawings or links to manufacturers website that you can post ?
 
Attachments
  • picture.png
    picture.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 539
The specification talks about using 4" pipe and 6" pipe for "nozzles", but provides no other details.

Usually, a drawing accompanies such a specification to provide the necessary details from which a cost estimate can be prepared.

Both pipe sizes are given as Schedule 80, the wall thickness of which can be obtained from a standard pipe size chart:

http://www.engineersedge.com/pipe_schedules.htm
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: minoroctave
SteamKing said:
The specification talks about using 4" pipe and 6" pipe for "nozzles", but provides no other details.

Usually, a drawing accompanies such a specification to provide the necessary details from which a cost estimate can be prepared.

Both pipe sizes are given as Schedule 80, the wall thickness of which can be obtained from a standard pipe size chart:

http://www.engineersedge.com/pipe_schedules.htm
thanks, I also have a question about the shell design. I have an equation for the minimum required shell thickness
##\frac{P(R_{design}+corrosion)}{SE-0.6P}##

but I'm not given R_design. should I guess an R_design? what should I look at to check if the guess is a good estimate?
 
This is a pressure vessel so you will need to design shell , nozzles and other components to appropriate ASME codes .