What are the standard units for inertial mass and gravitational mass?

In summary, the standard units for both inertial mass and gravitational mass are kilograms (kg). The hint given in the movie A Space Odyssey 2001 was not relevant to the question. In equations like F=ma, mass is also measured in kilograms. This means that both inertial mass and gravitational mass are measured in kilograms.
LadiesMan
[SOLVED] What are the standard units for inertial mass and gravitational mass?

1. What are the standard units for inertial mass and gravitational mass? And also apparently gravitational mass can be measured without gravity how can it be done?

Thank you very much. My teacher said a hint is in the movie A space odysey 2001.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think so far?

i thnk gravitational mass is N/kg and inertial..I have no idea =(

LadiesMan said:
i thnk gravitational mass is N/kg and inertial..I have no idea =(

That would be incorrect. Its not a trick question. What units do you usually use for mass?

we would use kg, or grams, etc.

Well the SI unit is kg.

oh thank you =), so how can I determine the SI units for inertial mass?

What units do you use for mass in equations like F=ma?

oh also kilograms, so that means the inertial mass is in kilograms too?

LadiesMan said:
oh also kilograms, so that means the inertial mass is in kilograms too?

Yes that's right.

oh wow thank you very much! =)

1. What is the difference between inertial mass and gravitational mass?

Inertial mass is a measure of an object's resistance to acceleration, while gravitational mass is a measure of the strength of an object's gravitational pull. They are essentially two different ways of measuring the same property of an object.

2. What are the standard units for inertial mass and gravitational mass?

The standard unit for both inertial mass and gravitational mass is the kilogram (kg). This is the unit used in the International System of Units (SI) and is based on the mass of a specific platinum-iridium alloy cylinder kept at the International Bureau of Weights and Measures in France.

3. Can the standard units for inertial mass and gravitational mass be converted to other units?

Yes, the standard units for both inertial mass and gravitational mass can be converted to other units. For example, one kilogram is equal to 1000 grams, 2.20462 pounds, or 0.001 metric tons. However, it is important to note that these conversions are based on the standard units and may vary slightly depending on the measuring system used.

4. How are inertial mass and gravitational mass measured?

Inertial mass can be measured using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Gravitational mass can be measured using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which relates the gravitational force between two objects to their masses and the distance between them.

5. Are there any other units used to measure inertial mass and gravitational mass?

Yes, there are other units that have been used historically to measure inertial mass and gravitational mass, such as the pound (lb) and the slug (sl). However, these units are not considered standard and are not commonly used in scientific calculations. The kilogram remains the standard unit for both inertial mass and gravitational mass in the SI system.