What are the various types of cosmic explosions?

• Thread starter Sundown444
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explosions
In summary: So it's not necessarily an explosion, but a release of energy in a short period of time.In summary, there are various types of cosmic explosions other than supernovae and gamma ray bursts, including novae, coronal mass ejections, solar flares, planetary collisions, pulsars, and potentially quasars and X-ray flashes. These explosions can vary in power and some may not be considered true explosions. The cause of gamma ray bursts is still uncertain, but they are characterized by a sudden release of energy rather than an actual explosion.
Sundown444
I have a question about cosmic explosions. Now, I know at least two kinds of explosions that can happen in space; supernovae and gamma ray bursts. I was wondering, what are the names of other types of cosmic explosions other than those two? I'd like to know.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
'Exposions' is a pretty broad term. There is virtually no limit on the kinds of things that can 'splode in space.

Novae (everyone forgets the supernova's more mild-mannered little brother), coronal mass ejections, solar flares, planetary collisions, pulsars, etc.

DaveC426913 said:
'Exposions' is a pretty broad term. There is virtually no limit on the kinds of things that can 'splode in space.

Novae (everyone forgets the supernova's more mild-mannered little brother), coronal mass ejections, solar flares, planetary collisions, pulsars, etc.

I see. How powerful are they?

Why don't you do some Googling around, maybe check out Wiki, and if you have specific questions, ask them here.

DaveC426913 said:
Why don't you do some Googling around, maybe check out Wiki, and if you have specific questions, ask them here.

Okay, will do.

Some stars at the end their lives undergo a kind of slow gentle explosion, but it is still nevertheless a process which involves the star 'blowing up' and ejecting a considerable part of it's mass. Sometimes they can do this repeatedly.
These are red giant stars and they are the final act of stars which are similar in mass to our Sun, (it's in the medium to small size range for most of it's life and yellowish).
Eventually only a small very dense hot core remains as a white dwarf star, and the outermost layers are lost.
The white dwarf remnant is 'dead', no longer generating any new energy, it's just retaining (most of) what it already has and very slowly cools.
When our Sun enters the red giant phase (in about 5bn years) it will certainly consume Mercury and very likely Venus too, the Earth may escape from being engulfed then it might not, but if it does escape being actually destroyed it will certainly be no longer habitable having lost all of it's oceans and most of it's atmosphere.

Last edited:
I would wonder if you could even consider a gamma ray burst to be an explosion in the same sense as a supernova. It's just heavily focused energy created by a black hole, and there are multiple types of gamma ray bursts, some don't really even accompany any sort of explosion, some help catalyst a hypernova.

Would a quasar be considered an explosion? They pump out far more energy than a supernova.

Likes davenn
newjerseyrunner said:
I would wonder if you could even consider a gamma ray burst to be an explosion in the same sense as a supernova. It's just heavily focused energy created by a black hole, and there are multiple types of gamma ray bursts, some don't really even accompany any sort of explosion, some help catalyst a hypernova.

Would a quasar be considered an explosion? They pump out far more energy than a supernova.

Funny you should say that. Gamma ray bursts do have the word "burst" in them, but I have wondered myself if they were an actual explosion, despite what I may have said in the initial post. I looked it up on Google and some sites did say it was an explosion. I still don't know what to think.

I also read something about X-Ray flashes being an explosion as well, but I have my very strong doubts.

Last edited:
It remains uncertain what is the cause of gamma ray bursts, but the term 'burst' here is referring to a sudden dramatic but short spike of EM radiation, not necessarly implying that something has disintegrated explosively.
In fact one of the primary suspects for their origin is that of very massive objects such as neutron stars or black holes merging.

What are cosmic explosions?

Cosmic explosions are powerful events that occur in outer space, releasing enormous amounts of energy and matter into the surrounding environment. They can be caused by a variety of astronomical phenomena, such as the death of a star or the collision of two celestial bodies.

What causes cosmic explosions?

The specific cause of a cosmic explosion depends on the type of explosion. Some are caused by the death of a star, also known as a supernova, while others are caused by the collision of two neutron stars or the merger of two black holes. These events release huge amounts of energy and can have a significant impact on their surrounding environments.

What are the different types of cosmic explosions?

There are several types of cosmic explosions, including supernovae, gamma-ray bursts, and neutron star mergers. Each type is caused by a different astronomical event and releases varying amounts of energy and matter into the surrounding space.

How do cosmic explosions impact the universe?

Cosmic explosions play a crucial role in shaping the universe. They are responsible for creating and distributing heavy elements, such as gold and platinum, which are essential for life. They also help to disperse matter and energy throughout the universe, contributing to the growth and evolution of galaxies.

Can cosmic explosions be dangerous for Earth?

While cosmic explosions may seem dangerous, the reality is that Earth is well-protected from the effects of these events. The distance between our planet and potential cosmic explosions is vast, and our atmosphere also acts as a shield, protecting us from harmful radiation. However, some types of cosmic explosions, such as gamma-ray bursts, could potentially have an impact on Earth's environment in the distant future.