Amaterasu and GRB221009A: A Comparison of Cosmic Rays and Gamma Ray Bursts

• B
  • Thread starter paulalex7000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gamma ray
paulalex7000
TL;DR Summary
Can this "Amaterasu" particle and GRB221009A be compared against each other? The former is always noted as a gamma ray (singular), nowhere have I read it being referred to as a gammy-ray burst, however.
Can this Amaterasu particle and GRB221009A be compared against each other? The former is always noted as a gamma ray (singular), nowhere have I read it being referred to as a gammy-ray burst, however. Does this mean scientists have detected this one lone gamma ray and only one?

[Edit/Update: I just reread an article and noticed it said "cosmic" ray, not "gamma" ray. So I guess this nullifies my questions posted?]

They say that Amaterasu gave off energy equaling 244 exa-electron volts. Doesn't that beat out GRB221009A, which was about 18 tera-electron volts? Please correct my misunderstood interpretation.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what the total energy of GRB221009A ended up being, as it was a gamma ray burst lasting several minutes at its peak with over 5,000 high energy photons detected. So it could go either way I suppose.

paulalex7000 said:
TL;DR Summary: Can this "Amaterasu" particle and GRB221009A be compared against each other? The former is always noted as a gamma ray (singular), nowhere have I read it being referred to as a gammy-ray burst, however.

Can this Amaterasu particle and GRB221009A be compared against each other? The former is always noted as a gamma ray (singular), nowhere have I read it being referred to as a gammy-ray burst, however. Does this mean scientists have detected this one lone gamma ray and only one?

[Edit/Update: I just reread an article and noticed it said "cosmic" ray, not "gamma" ray. So I guess this nullifies my questions posted?]

They say that Amaterasu gave off energy equaling 244 exa-electron volts. Doesn't that beat out GRB221009A, which was about 18 tera-electron volts? Please correct my misunderstood interpretation.

The Amaterasu cosmic ray was not a gamma ray burst or even a gamma ray at all. It was an extremely high energy single particle of origin unknown. Maybe a proton.

The GRB221009 event was an extremely energetic collapse of a star.

Likes paulalex7000
Using cutsie-poo names is unnecessary, and does not add to one's credibility. Science popularizers and university press offices might not know any better, but we should. We can just call them ultra-high energy cosmic rays.

Some facts:
1. It is known that these are extremely energetic. Are the energy measurements accurate at these energies? Hard to tell. You don't have an independent calibration, and you are plagued by statistical fluctuations.
2. Primary cosmic rays are not photons/gamma rays. They are protons or nuclei.
3. Charged particles bend in magnetic fields: the directiopn where the particle appears to come from is not the direction of the source.
4. The acceleration process for ultra-high energy cosmic rays is poorly understood. It is likely electromagnetic. Thus, it may be easier to accelerate these particles if they are fully-stripped nuclei, such as iron.None of these suggest a relationship with any GRB.

Likes paulalex7000
I guess that's on me... I'm not part of any academia, just a layperson who has an interest in cosmology, but from a civilian viewpoint.

paulalex7000 said:
I guess that's on me... I'm not part of any academia, just a layperson who has an interest in cosmology, but from a civilian viewpoint.
No fault on you. We're just quite... thorough... around these parts. :wink:

Likes paulalex7000

What is Amaterasu in the context of cosmic rays?

Amaterasu, in the context of cosmic rays, refers to a theoretical or hypothetical model used to explain the origin or behavior of cosmic rays, particularly those of extremely high energy. It is not a commonly recognized term in the scientific community and may be used more in specific studies or theoretical discussions rather than broadly. The name "Amaterasu" originates from the Japanese sun goddess, symbolizing the intense energy and power associated with these cosmic phenomena.

What was GRB221009A and why is it significant?

GRB221009A was a remarkably powerful gamma-ray burst (GRB) detected on October 9, 2022. It is significant because it is one of the brightest and most energetic GRBs ever observed, offering unique insights into the most violent and energetic processes in the universe. Studying such bursts helps scientists understand the conditions and mechanisms that lead to their occurrence, including the death of massive stars and the formation of black holes.

How do cosmic rays compare to gamma-ray bursts?

Cosmic rays and gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) are both high-energy phenomena originating from space but differ in their composition and origins. Cosmic rays are primarily protons and atomic nuclei that travel through space at nearly the speed of light, originating from sources like supernovae or active galactic nuclei. GRBs, on the other hand, are intense flashes of gamma rays, which are electromagnetic radiation, occurring from cataclysmic events such as the collapse of massive stars or the merger of neutron stars. While both carry significant amounts of energy, their manifestations and impacts on Earth differ substantially.

What can we learn from comparing Amaterasu and GRB221009A?

Comparing a theoretical model like Amaterasu with an observed event like GRB221009A can provide valuable insights into the mechanisms of cosmic ray acceleration and the extreme conditions present during gamma-ray bursts. Such comparisons can help validate theoretical models and improve our understanding of how high-energy particles are produced and propagated through space. This, in turn, enhances our knowledge of the universe's most energetic processes and the structure of matter under extreme conditions.

How do cosmic rays and gamma-ray bursts impact Earth?

Both cosmic rays and gamma-ray bursts can have effects on Earth, though they are generally minimal due to the protective layers of Earth's atmosphere and magnetic field. Cosmic rays can contribute to cloud formation and have been hypothesized to affect the Earth's climate and can increase the radiation exposure in aircraft and spacecraft. Gamma-ray bursts, if close enough and directed towards Earth, could potentially affect the Earth's atmosphere and cause changes in its chemical composition. However, such events are extremely rare and would likely have to be very close to have any significant impact.