What are these directional energetic particles

Summary:

In addition to the usual alpha and beta particles visible in my condensation cloud chamber, I see occasional tracks that seem highly energetic -they easily penetrate the entire width of the cloud chamber (10-12 inches) going in one side and out the other. What are they?
In addition to the usual alpha and beta particles visible in my condensation cloud chamber, I see occasional tracks that seem highly energetic -they easily penetrate the entire width of the cloud chamber (10-12 inches) going in one side and out the other. More mysteriously, their orientation is almost always of a vector parallel to the N/S compass axis. I am trying to determine if these are muons.... but my understanding of muons is that they are too short lived to make such long trails. What are they and why the consistent vector?

Here's a link to what I've described above:

Answers and Replies

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You could possibly test for charge, using an applied magnetic field?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
but my understanding of muons is that they are too short lived to make such long trails.
Why do you think that? What is the muon lifetime? How fast do you think they are going? How far will they go in that time?