Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are those bubbles in my beer?

1. Apr 21, 2007 #1
    I heard alcohol evaporates, also the carbon dioxcide pop does the samething, am I loseing alcohol percentage when I let my beer stand?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Judging by your typing skills, I'd venture you're still getting plenty.

- Warren
  4. Apr 21, 2007 #3
    No. It would take a very, very, very long time for any chemical reaction to take place. People often forget that alcohol isn't like other drugs like THC or Ex in which the active ingredient has a very small mass...Alcohol takes up a lot of space. In some spirits (100 proof) the alcohol itself takes up 50% of the volume. Unless your beer is shrinking, I'd say you're safe.
  5. Apr 22, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most of it is carbon dioxide, ethanol has a considerable vapor pressure so yes, some ethanol is evaporating out of the solution, however not as fast as the carbon dioxide although I wonder just what role carbon dioxide has, if any, in keeping the ethanol in the solution.
  6. Apr 23, 2007 #5

Im pretty sure its carbonated just like soda pop to help slow down the reactions that might occur that would make it taste bad before you had a chance to drink it. Also I think that people prefer the taste of a carbonated beverage over a "Flat" one because it has a taste people relate to "fresh".

I would have to guess that 99.9 percent or so is o=c=o and the other .01% CH3-CH2-OH of what evaporates by the time you drink it. Actually the EtOH is probably a bit higher because i know beer smells really strong sometimes.

I could be wrong though on the first part..... oh look at the time its beer thirty. Time to go drink!
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?