What Are You Watching Lately? (Rants/Raves/Reviews)

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary: He's a terrible role model, and his company is a terrible example.The Enclave: The Enclave is a faction that is, in some ways, the polar opposite of the NCR. They are isolationist, believing that the outside world is too dangerous and corrupt to be saved. They are also militaristic, believing that the only way to protect themselves is through force. Enclave members dress in black, with white insignia, and their ideology is very similar to that of the Nazis.
kyphysics

I am looking forward to Marvel/Disney's She-Hulk (coming in August).

Was never a Stranger Things fan, but hear it's gotten massive views.

Likes pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
I mostly watch the price of gas, food, and rent go up continuously.

• Haha
Likes sbrothy
kyphysics said:

I like the fact Kate Bush has had something of a renaissance because of the series. She is one of the UK's national treasures. One that most are not aware of.
I have seen some of the series, it looks pretty good. Quite dark.

pinball1970 said:
I like the fact Kate Bush has had something of a renaissance because of the series. She is one of the UK's national treasures. One that most are not aware of.
Oh, she's from the UK? Didn't know that!

Also, the She-Hulk trailer makes it look light-hearted and funny.

kyphysics said:

I have tried a few of the Marvel films but cannot connect with them. I never read the comics as a kid either.
What I have seen is a series called 'The boys,' it is more gritty and darker than the standard superhero stuff.

Just finished Stranger Things S4. Weakest season yet, but still good. Looking forward to the show completing next season. I'm on to Westworld season 4 next.

Likes collinsmark
Greg Bernhardt said:
Just finished Stranger Things S4. Weakest season yet, but still good. Looking forward to the show completing next season. I'm on to Westworld season 4 next.
Agree, weakest but still good. They now have so many characters that they needed three plotlines. The Russian plotline was a waste of time and the 11 plotline was just mythology which will hopefully have a payoff in season 5. I am waiting on Sandman which comes out next week.

caz said:
Agree, weakest but still good. They now have so many characters that they needed three plotlines. The Russian plotline was a waste of time and the 11 plotline was just mythology which will hopefully have a payoff in season 5. I am waiting on Sandman which comes out next week.
Agreed. I'm a little worried for S5 because the mystery is pretty much gone. S5 appears to just be a plotline wrap-up. I agree, the Russian plotline in retrospect has zero impact on the main plot.

I liked Eddie. Of course, Jim Carroll spoiled it way back in 1979
“Eddie got slit in the jugular vein
And Eddie, I miss you more than all the others,
And I salute you brother”

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Rather than watching TV, I've taken up my old habit of replaying old video games. What I like to do, if possible given the game's character creation flexibility, is to create a player character based on some well-known person, and then play the game as best I can as that person, as if that person were to be somehow, inexplicably placed in that crazy situation. I'll try to make decisions on what I think that well-known person would do. It adds a whole new level to the gameplay.

As mentioned in another PF thread, I'm presently replaying Fallout: New Vegas, where you wander around a post-apocalyptic Mojave desert, trying to make the best in a decimated, post-nuclear world. Fallout: New Vegas is a game released way back in 2010, and it's good enough to replay many times over.

nynNraSpdYAmASGKanAPjY-970-80.jpg.webp

For those who haven't yet played Fallout: New Vegas, you must eventually side with one of the following factions:

• New California Republic (NCR): This is the default "good guys" faction. Well, it's mostly good. The NCR promotes democracy, freedom, and the rule-of-law. But this faction isn't perfect. The NCR has a tendency to be a bit imperialistic, aggressively expanding their territory. When the NCR annexes new territory, those in that territory have elections to decide whether to allow the annexation into the NCR, but the pressure the NCR puts on the people to join is large and sometimes crosses the line of ethics. And like any other imperialistic state, they have a tendency to overextend themselves, causing resource scarcity at their borders.
  • Mr. House: Think of what would happen if a Howard Hughes -- or better yet, Elon Musk -- came to power and ruled over everybody as an autocrat, and is kept alive by his machines and advanced medical technology. That's Mr. House. In his early life, Mr. House founded RobCo Industries (prevalent in all of the Fallout games: RobCo invented the Pip-Boy, after-all). He's viewed as a genius by many people. Siding with Mr. House isn't necessarily a bad option; he has good intentions for the most part. But despite his "genius" and "good intentions" -- and like Elon Musk -- Mr. House is, in so, so many ways, a freakin' idiot. Sure, he was able to found an extremely successful space-rocket and robotics company, but that doesn't make him good at other things. His concept of equity is unwittingly so bass-akwards it makes me question how anybody, outside of a privileged few, would willingly follow him at all.
  • Caesar's Legion: This is the default "bad guys" faction. They are bad. They're slavers. They are an unapologetic, totalitarian, authoritarian dictatorship. Their society is a slave army built on ruthlessly utilitarian principles. Captured women are forced to bear children and support the war effort. I have nothing good to say about the Legion. And don't go spouting any, "ohhh, but they make the roads safe," sort of bull-crap. Unless you're siding with the Legion as some sort of necessary challenge, or because you're an absolute completionist (and you have to side with every faction at least once, among multiple playthroughs), if you willingly side Caesar's Legion, it makes you a horrible person. There. I've said it.
  • Yes Man: This is the wild-card faction: the faction you side with if you can't bring yourself to side with any of the other factions. This will produce the most "independent" outcome for New-Vegas. Understandably, many players will view this as the "best" option. But before deciding, you should ask yourself though, "does my character have the competence, or does my character even have the will, desire, and determination, to start a whole new system of government?" That's a lot of responsibility. Not that it really matters much in terms of gameplay; once the Second Battle for Hoover Dam is over and all is said and done, the game is over. But it is something to think about. You should really do some character introspection before choosing this option.

You can't finish the game without siding with one of the above factions. You must side with one, eventually.

Back to my current playthrough. Recall that I like to base my player character on some well-known person, and play, as best I can, in a way that emulates how I think that person would act. This time 'round I'm playing as US House Representative Ilhan Omar.

Lately, Congresswoman Ilhan Omar (my character, not the real person) has been hanging around with Cass (full name, "Rose of Sharon Cassidy").

Ilhan_Omar_and_Cass.jpg

Cass and Congresswoman Ilhan Omar (my character, not the real person) standing along the New Vegas Strip.

So, Congresswoman Ilhan Omar (my character, not the real person) was almost all set to side with the NCR, but she's starting to get a little ticked at them. For example, in a conversation, Cass tells Ilhan Omar that Cass' mother is "tribal," and clarifies, "You know, like one of the tribes from the East - we got 'em out West, too. NCR's herding 'em up, though, 'domesticating' them [sarcastically]."

Well, Ilhan Omar (my character, not the real person), didn't like the sound of this "herding" and "domesticating" one bit. 'Sounds like forced re-education training. As a matter of fact, Ilhan Omar (my character) was right pissed about it.

Then again, it was probably just Cass being hyperbolic (Cass does that a lot). She does later mention that she views the NCR as family. A messed up family, but family.

So, the plot thickens. Will Congresswoman Ilhan Omar (my character, not the real person) continue to side with the NCR, or will she switch to siding with Yes Man. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Likes Klystron
Last I saw were the Marvel announcements for this year and I don't see how they will have time to do everything in a quality way.

Quiented said:
Last I saw were the Marvel announcements for this year and I don't see how they will have time to do everything in a quality way.
Well...people have definitely said Obi Wan Kenobi was underwhelming.

Loki's gotten good reviews in the past. Ms. Marvel usually gets bad reviews. ...The trailers for Andor and She-Hulk do look good, though. But, trailers can be deceiving.

Latest Andor trailer.

It's got Rogue One vibes. I love mythologies and histories...this looks pretty good, but trailers can sometimes be deceiving. I think the dark world of Rogue One is something I like more than the sometimes campy Star Wars themes. I actually hate camp. Never liked Guardians of the Galaxy for that reason.

I tend to like the more serious plots.

pinball1970 said:
I have tried a few of the Marvel films but cannot connect with them. I never read the comics as a kid either.
What I have seen is a series called 'The boys,' it is more gritty and darker than the standard superhero stuff.
Yeah, I liked The Boys. Only seen the first season though - can't convince the wife to try S2

Likes pinball1970
DaveC426913 said:
Yeah, I liked The Boys. Only seen the first season though - can't convince the wife to try S2
It’s different I think.

Just what was needed with all this superhero stuff around.

Try and twist her arm or at least demand a solo spot with the TV to cram in a few episodes.

pinball1970 said:

I was lucky in that my similarly aged next-door neighbor bought and shared the latest DC and Marvel comic books each week in the early 1960's, otherwise I read comics once a month at the barbershop. I read original Hulk, Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Iron Man and X-Men, among others. Stan Lee wrote fan information letters explaining characters and situations.

For example, Marvel writers Kirby and Romita considered DC's Superman too powerful, villains overmatched. The original X-Men divided up Superman's 'powers' among a group of teen mutants including psychic and love-interest Jane Grey (Some Superman plotlines provided telepathy.).
  • Angel: flight though with large wings and a slender body.
  • Beast: superstrength and agility but not indestructible.
  • Cyclops: powerful eye beams but not x-ray vision.
  • Iceman: icy cold 'super breath' but also an ice body analogous to Human Torch in Fantastic Four.
Kirby and Lee borrowed heavily from Superman's friends/enemies/nemeses Lex Luthor and Brainiac to create team leader and telepath Professor Xavier. This friend/enemy dichotomy persists within Marvel. New X-Men characters such as Magneto and Wolverine frequently begin as misunderstood villains before joining the cause.

pinball1970 said:

"The Boyz" can be entertaining though much darker and sexual than Marvel comic heroes. The Seven represent cynical commercial interests. Marvel heroes team up to save humanity. The Boyz (Seven) are predatory psychopaths directed by lies, deceit and exploitive capitalism. Female superheroes are ritually degraded and demeaned. The baby with murderous eye beams is worth admission price.

I have not read "Boyz" source material, if any, only watched the series.

I’m the opposite - love the MCU because it does not take itself too seriously and hate the dark cynical superhero genre like Dark Knight, Watchmen etc.

Loki was quite good, and introduces the main antagonist of the next Avengers cycle

Also, The Black Phone is a great horror flick

BWV said:
I’m the opposite - love the MCU because it does not take itself too seriously
They had me at "shawarma".

1659989967888.png

They stole my heart and after that, could do no wrong.

Likes PhDeezNutz and BWV
BWV said:
I’m the opposite - love the MCU because it does not take itself too seriously ...
The essence of Spiderman resides in quips, lighthearted jokes, quirky humor, and yet the original comic book series when Gwen dies in Peter's arms rivals the best love story tragedies of our culture. The vivid inks and expressive drawing emphasize Gwen's long fall from a Manhattan bridge tossed aside by the father of Peter's and Gwen's friend driven insane by chemical augmentation.

Peter snags Gwen in his web milliseconds before she strikes the East River but a fateful 'snick' betrays a broken neck, her frail human body unable to survive the terrible deceleration. MCU does not take itself too seriously and the comic book form rarely lends itself to serious drama, but Spidey's humor grows from unspeakable tragedy in the finest classical tradition.

I read that comic once as a ten-year-old but still remember the vivid emotions and story. Excellent art.

Likes BWV
BWV said:
I’m the opposite - love the MCU because it does not take itself too seriously and hate the dark cynical superhero genre like Dark Knight, Watchmen etc.
What about Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy?

I have a hard time believing even the biggest haters of Batman/Dark Knight would dislike his masterpieces.

I didn't like Batman films/comics (despite liking serious toned comics over campy ones, in general), but loved his three movies.

kyphysics said:

I have a hard time believing even the biggest haters of Batman/Dark Knight would dislike his masterpieces.

I didn't like Batman films/comics (despite liking serious toned comics over campy ones, in general), but loved his three movies.
they were watchable and have seen them all twice, but they try too hard. I am not averse to heavy dark movies, but good heavy dark movies do not feature a guy in a batsuit - you can only deconstruct the superhero thing so far before you make basic premise absurd

kyphysics said:

There have been so many remakes I don't even know which set of remakes that is. I found them all forgettable. The only one I remember is Keaton.

Likes Bystander
kyphysics said:

Excellent widgetry coupled with superb acting and directing make for exciting spectacle. Thanks to young relatives, we watched these movies on large screen with the best sound reproduction. Batman is marked by his colorful enemies and gleeful technology. These films deliver.

BWV said:
they were watchable and have seen them all twice, but they try too hard. I am not averse to heavy dark movies, but good heavy dark movies do not feature a guy in a batsuit - you can only deconstruct the superhero thing so far before you make basic premise absurd
Agree but do not concur. Revival of the Age of Chivalry genre reminds us that knights wore armor and helm (helmet mask) often emblazoned with a totemic sign. Bats use echolocation to navigate darkness. The Dark Knight graphic novels rose in popularity in answer to the light campy "Batman and Robin" dynamic duo motif. Crime fighting remains serious work, scarring the do-gooder along with the victims.

BWV said:
I think the non-Nolan versions felt "obviously fake," whereas I think Nolan's rendition had that rare feel of realism combined with fantasy. I was able to "get lost" in the world building of the Dark Knight trilogy he created. His Batman had some funny lines too to break up the serious tone.

I quite liked She-Hulk Ep. 1.

Biggest gripe: it was short
Second gripe: unlike Netflix binge releases (I hear they might change this model), Disney+ shows get released by the week. Boooo...can we at least get 2 episodes?

Normally I don't like campy shows, but this wasn't really pure camp. It just had witty banter a lot of times.

Another gripe: Why are these Disney+ Marvel/Star Wars shows show short? ...like 6 episodes usually.

I know they are considered new shows and production was often done under limited COVID conditions, but still. . .Network linear TV can still manage longer shows.

Last edited:
kyphysics said:
Another gripe: Why are these Disney+ Marvel/Star Wars shows show short? ...like 6 episodes usually.

I know they are considered new shows and production was often done under limited COVID conditions, but still. . .Network TV can still manage longer shows.
British shows have fixed story arcs with a distinct ending. Many consider this far superior to the endless purgatory of American series that seem to live on after they should have died - like zombies

Likes PhDeezNutz
DaveC426913 said:
British shows have fixed story arcs with a distinct ending. Many consider this far superior to the endless purgatory of American series that seem to live on after they should have died - like zombies
I don't mind "stretching" a franchise with things like prequels and sequels IF they are done well.

For example, I loved Rogue One. IMHO, one of the best Star Wars films ever made. If these pre-/post- films are done poorly, then sure it can feel like never-ending torture. . .

I actually liked Obi-Wan Kenobi and didn't understand the hate it got.

Another thing I don't understand that is a criticgism of some Disney stuff is these adults online (judging from their avatar photos) say these films/"TV series" have too much of a "kiddy" feel to them at times. I'm like WHAT? It's DISNEY! Yeah...that's what they do. It's a constant juggling act to create something that has a serious/weighty feel to it, while making it watchable for kids too. OF COURSE it's going to have some silly moments...if you can't understand and live with that, then go watch Netflix. It's crazy for adults to be making that criticism. I get saying the CGI or action sucked. I get saying the dialogue sucked. But saying you didn't like a Disney series, b/c it wasn't serious enough and had sometimes campy/child-like tenor to it is like complaining french fries don't taste good b/c they are fried. ...

kyphysics said:
I don't mind "stretching" a franchise with things like prequels and sequels IF they are done well.
I meant more like Lost (which I never saw) and its ilk, where the primary story arc ends after a few seasons, but the producers say "we can squeeze more money out of it", so the writers just keep frantically writing right up until five minutes before shooting.

Likes PhDeezNutz
The 6 episodes works great because it's part of a larger franchise. We're going to see all these characters again, don't worry.

@kyphysics if kenovi was a standalone work I think it would be fine. The criticism is that it's supposed to be the story that connects kenobi in the prequel to kenobi in the ot, and if fails at that. He beats Darth Vader, again, and leaves him to be rescued, again? With no explanation why he doesn't kill him and learn his lesson? Leia's plea for help from kenobi in episode 4 makes no sense given their connection from this series.

I think in 10 years the show will be viewed more favorably. Similar to the prequels - the next generation won't demand the new content fits the old perfectly, they will view the two things on an equal playing field where neither fits the other perfectly.

Office_Shredder said:
The 6 episodes works great because it's part of a larger franchise. We're going to see all these characters again, don't worry.

@kyphysics if kenovi was a standalone work I think it would be fine. The criticism is that it's supposed to be the story that connects kenobi in the prequel to kenobi in the ot, and if fails at that. He beats Darth Vader, again, and leaves him to be rescued, again? With no explanation why he doesn't kill him and learn his lesson? Leia's plea for help from kenobi in episode 4 makes no sense given their connection from this series.
I dunno. Maybe he has a soft spot for Anakin? I actually loved the premise of Obi Wan...just think it was too short and could have used more story building.

I liked it still.

Would love to see a Black Panther show series. I know Wakanda Forever is coming out, but after that, it'd be cool to see a show too. Any guesses as to who the New Black Panther will be (claw at end of trailer)?

DaveC426913 said:
I meant more like Lost (which I never saw) and its ilk, where the primary story arc ends after a few seasons, but the producers say "we can squeeze more money out of it", so the writers just keep frantically writing right up until five minutes before shooting.
Yeah but there is something exciting about that. The writers are under pressure to be brilliant.
Lost was great, I recommend it.

kyphysics said:
I actually liked Obi-Wan Kenobi and didn't understand the hate it got.
I lost interest in Star Wars TV series after watching The Book of Boba Fett. I just watched Kenobi though, and it's actually pretty good.

Jarvis323 said:
I lost interest in Star Wars TV series after watching The Book of Boba Fett. I just watched Kenobi though, and it's actually pretty good.
I can beat that. I've watched only the first season of the Mandalorian and haven't seen anything since.

DaveC426913 said:
I can beat that. I've watched only the first season of the Mandalorian and haven't seen anything since.
I think you'd like Obi Wan. Give it a try.

Actors/Actresses are really good. How can anyone dislike Ewan?