What Are You Watching Lately? (Rants/Raves/Reviews)

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary: He's a terrible role model, and his company is a terrible example.The Enclave: The Enclave is a faction that is, in some ways, the polar opposite of the NCR. They are isolationist, believing that the outside world is too dangerous and corrupt to be saved. They are also militaristic, believing that the only way to protect themselves is through force. Enclave members dress in black, with white insignia, and their ideology is very similar to that of the Nazis.
Jarvis323 said:
I lost interest in Star Wars TV series after watching The Book of Boba Fett. I just watched Kenobi though, and it's actually pretty good.
Yeah. I totally understand how people watching Mando and Boba gave up on Star Wars. But, Obi Wan is a big cut above them, imho, in both production value, acting, and sentiment (everyone loves Obi Wan's character/history/legacy).

It's even funny too. I swear the stuff people criticize it for are so endearing to me. They say Leia is too smart for her age. I kinda agree. However, there are some really observant kids that can be obnoxiously "too adult-like" and funny that way. However, she's just a LILLLLLLLL bit "too smart" I would agree. ...At least for 10 years old - unless we consider her a genius.

People also say Obi Wan was a wimp...Okay...I get that criticism, but he did seem human. That's realistic and is a part of human psychology. People can, in fact, lose hope in life and become jaded...it happens. I didn't mind that, b/c having a never down/out-of-luck character who easily beats his foes all the time actually feels more fake to me. I was fine with Obi Wan's character development.

I also just thought the music and editing of the film were great. Visuals were awesome - way better than the trailers showed. And the music, acting, and cutting of the film made for some very intense moments for me.
In sum, it was funny when it tried to be and intense when it tried to be. Great balance. Great series. I have no idea what negative reviewers are talking about.

Physics news on Phys.org
She-Hulk Ep.2 is out today (every Thursday).

Gripe: it's 31 minutes only. Ep.1 was 38 minutes. WAY too short!

Good lord! It's 23 minutes and 7 minutes of credits! what a ripoff

I just made a surrealistic video set to a piano version of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb.

She-Hulk is light and fun, but needs more plot tension.

There needs to be either a real physical danger (she totally thrashed her first opponent without even a fight. . .can we at least see her capable of getting hurt?) and/or a real value/ethical one. . .something to up the stakes/tension and balance out the camp/fun.

Just my humble opinion.

Never heard of this. . .Looks interesting and different. More "adult-like" for a Marvel/Disney series.

Andor begins (today). . .

Coincidentally, my Disney+ subscription ended LAST night.

I love music. Youtube let's me explore all the world's music for free. Like Pinxi, a little girl in Wuhan who plays rock guitar with great skill, or a fusion band from Kazakhstan. But early in 2022 They changed the system. It would only offer me familiar things. Boring. I couldn't get anything new no matter what. Then after half a year of nothing but stagnant water its suddenly back better than ever. How about a mashup of anime music with Toto's Africa? Yay! I'm as happy as a pig in you know what.

• Skeptical
Likes kyphysics

Looking forward to checking this out based on trailer.

Greg Bernhardt said:
on to Westworld season 4
Had to FF through it; dug out WH13, Librarians, & Leverage to get the baaddd taste out of my brain.

kyphysics said:
Looking forward to checking out [The Peripheral].
I've now watched the 1st 2 episodes. I plan to keep watching.

So far I actually like it better than the Rings of Power with Psycho-Galadriel and Doogie Elrond. Season 1 never really gave an hint of WTH was the point of those dirty hobbits and the dirty Stranger with amnesia -- except maybe to generate social media traffic. I doubt the Stranger's purpose was to teach hobbits how to bathe -- although they did seem to develop cleaner habits over the course of a few thousand years, as depicted in LoTR. :oldsmile:

Last edited:
A couple of 1950s films over the weekend.

The Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956

The 27th Day 1957

Invasion of the body snatchers 1978 is one I had already seen, creepy as hell but this version was also very dark and sinister.

27th Day was interesting, reminded me of The day the Earth stood still, ”Humans sort yourselves out,” kind of a thing.

Orville

A bit of a light Sci-Fi: a bit of flirting with comedy: a sufficient dose of various/serious 'human stuff' - good one as a bedtime story for adults after a busy day with not much brain left.

Rive said:
Orville

A bit of a light Sci-Fi: a bit of flirting with comedy: a sufficient dose of various/serious 'human stuff' - good one as a bedtime story for adults after a busy day with not much brain left.
I hear their latest seasons have dispensed with the comedy aspect and are going for a deadly serious vibe.

DaveC426913 said:
I hear their latest seasons have dispensed with the comedy aspect and are going for a deadly serious vibe.
I'm yet to see that
Worst case it'll turn into a morning dose of adrenaline instead to fuel the day :wink:

strangerep said:
I've now watched the 1st 2 episodes. I plan to keep watching.

So far I actually like it better than the Rings of Power with Psycho-Galadriel and Doogie Elrond. Season 1 never really gave an hint of WTH was the point of those dirty hobbits and the dirty Stranger with amnesia -- except maybe to generate social media traffic. I doubt the Stranger's purpose was to teach hobbits how to bathe -- although they did seem to develop cleaner habits over the course of a few thousand of years, as depicted in LoTR. :oldsmile:
Sounds good. I haven't had time to watch yet. I've seen the main actress before in something else and liked her. The visuals looked good in the trailer and there was a Matrix-y feel, which suits me fine.

It actually also made me think of the metaverse.

DaveC426913 said:
I hear [Orville's] latest seasons have dispensed with the comedy aspect and are going for a deadly serious vibe.
Yeah -- not so much comedy, more political correctness, and tying up loose end into what (I hope) is a neat final end to the series.

I liked it better at the start -- the scene of a guy talking on a screen while his beagle licked itself in the background still makes me laugh.

In contrast, all the moclan storylines made me a bit sick/bored.

Just finished Ep. 1 of Peripheral.

Intriguing from the start. Not sure what the relationship is between the sim world and the "real world," but it's interesting.

I like the hour+ run-time with all show. Unlike Disney+ shows, where they give you 5-7 minutes of recap and the 5-7 minutes of end credits on an already condensed run-time (say, 45 minutes), this was a full hour + . . .

Maybe this will save Amazon Prime Video's reputation after their LOTR debacle? ...on to Ep. 2 now (bonus)! Woohoo.

kyphysics said:
Just finished Ep. 1 of Peripheral.

Intriguing from the start. Not sure what the relationship is between the sim world and the "real world," but it's interesting.
That becomes clearer in Ep2, but I'll refrain from giving spoilers. (I'm not sure I believe what Ep2 presents anyway, but we'll see.)

strangerep said:
That becomes clearer in Ep2, but I'll refrain from giving spoilers. (I'm not sure I believe what Ep2 presents anyway, but we'll see.)
Well, Ep 2 sheds more light on things, but it's still very confusing (for me).

Like:
1.) Are the sim worlds time-travel worlds or just sims (or, both - as in, it depends on the situation)?
2.) Why do people want to kill and/or find Aelita? They tried to kill her in Ep.1 and find her in Ep.2. Who is she and why is she so important?
3.) Why is Flynn "chosen"/special to be able to find Aelita? Obviously, she has "gaming"/sim skills, but other than that, what's special about her?

I have many more questions, but these were the basic ones. I feel like the complexities of the plot and the technology/science don't get explained well enough (at least, not yet). The tension, mystery, and characters are all great - as well as the visuals - and keep me watching/interested, but I feel like you have to do a lot of work outside the show to figure out what's happening. . . .I wish that weren't so.

Last edited:
kyphysics said:
1.) Are the sim worlds time-travel worlds or just sims (or, both - as in, it depends on the situation)?
I got the impression the sim world is indeed a time-travel world -- from the hint: "why put me in an android if this is a sim, why not an ordinary body?".

kyphysics said:
2.) Why do people want to kill and/or find Aelita? The tried to kill her in Ep.1 and find her in Ep.2. Who is she and why is she so important?
No idea yet, but I'll guess it's something like "she does something very significant in the future, therefore the bad guys want to kill her now". I.e., a rehash of standard time travel plotlines. I hope it's something more nuanced than that.

kyphysics said:
3.) Why is Flynn "chosen"/special to be able to find Aelita? Obviously, she has "gaming"/sim skills, but other than that, what's special about her?
Possibly the same answer as in (2) above. It's hard to know who's a time agent and who's not.

kyphysics said:
I have many more questions, but these were the basic ones. I feel like the complexities of the plot and the technology/science don't get explained well enough (at least, not yet). The tension, mystery, and characters are all great - as well as the visuals - and keep me watching/interested, but I feel like you have to do a lot of work outside the show to figure out what's happening. . . .I wish that weren't so.
Oh, I don't mind a generous helping of "WTF?" I just hope it doesn't evolve into "oh no, another rehash of that old lame storyline" -- which is what Star Trek Picard became for me.

Likes kyphysics
strangerep said:
Oh, I don't mind a generous helping of "WTF?" I just hope it doesn't evolve into "oh no, another rehash of that old lame storyline" -- which is what Star Trek Picard became for me.
For me, it depends on how complicated things are. For example, I couldn't finish watching Tenet (the Christopher Nolan film), despite owning it and trying numerous times.

I couldn't follow the plot and things were happening so fast that I couldn't really enjoy it. I feel there's a balance between intrigue/mystery and something that's just so complicated and fast-paced that you're lost. . .Not saying Peripheral is like that (yet), but I have my limits. I don't think I'd abandon it like Tenet, b/c Peripheral is a show with lots of "slow" sequences too and gives you time to think about what's happening (and it's not going to be over in 2-3 hours).

I also like the side characters in this show and the acting. It doesn't hurt that I have a crush on Flynn either. Makes watching kinda "nice" for me. :-p

Last edited:
Watched She-Hulk Ep 1 the other day.
Can anyone give me a reason to see Ep 2?

Likes kyphysics
DaveC426913 said:
Watched She-Hulk Ep 1 the other day.
Can anyone give me a reason to see Ep 2?
I loved Ep. 1. . .the problem for me came after Ep. 2 when I started losing interest. . . :-p I think I stopped the series after Ep. 3 or 4. . . don't even remember, which is probably a bad sign. I think the episodes were too short and lacked depth of plot intrigue.

I liked the witty banter of characters, the way things looked (from the corporate/law environment to the action scenes), and the unique social/gender issues surrounding She-Hulk. I just think the series lacked a compelling "deeper" tension. There didn't feel like there were any major "stakes" to keep me excited and intrigued.

I started "The Northman", got through Ep1 and half-way through Ep2 before deciding "Nope, that's it for me". Tooooo nasty.

strangerep said:
I started "The Northman", got through Ep1 and half-way through Ep2 before deciding "Nope, that's it for me". Tooooo nasty.
I thought you meant this movie:

...then I realized you said "Ep . . ."

This actually looks kind of good (haven't seen it). It feels like a darker version of Braveheart.

What did you think of YOUR version of The Northman? Peripheral Ep. 3 is out tonight, btw. Too tired to watch it, but will this weekend.

kyphysics said:
[The Northman] actually looks kind of good (haven't seen it). What did you think of YOUR version of The Northman?
As I said... too nasty for me.
kyphysics said:
It feels like a darker version of Braveheart.
I found Braveheart too unpleasant to watch in the end. Realistic history is horrible. Sometimes I really hate the human world. :oldfrown:

kyphysics said:
Peripheral Ep. 3 is out tonight, btw. Too tired to watch it, but will this weekend.
I'm having difficulty finding things on Prime Video that I actually want to watch. I might have to take out a subscription to Binge to watch a couple of other things.

• Sad
Likes pinball1970
strangerep said:
As I said... too nasty for me.

I found Braveheart too unpleasant to watch in the end. Realistic history is horrible. Sometimes I really hate the human world. :oldfrown:I'm having difficulty finding things on Prime Video that I actually want to watch. I might have to take out a subscription to Binge to watch a couple of other things.
You have to finish Braveheart. Yes it is horrific but a lot of things were in the 13thC.
There are highs and lows and lot of artistic license on things that could not be known now.
It is also a very beautiful story, heart breaking but those are best yes?
Casablanca is not a classic because everything works out.
I will not be specific in case you have not seen it!

pinball1970 said:
You have to finish Braveheart. Yes it is horrific but a lot of things were in the 13thC.
There are highs and lows and lot of artistic license on things that could not be known now.
It is also a very beautiful story, heart breaking but those are best yes?
Yeah, I think it's eye-opening as to how brutal human existence was for most of history. War and violence were regular parts of life. I mean, it's true today too (just look at reports of rape and torture of Ukrainians by Russian troops - literally a big story came this week), but it's thankfully more rare/tame in modern, civilized societies.

As horrific as the onscreen stuff may be, I think it's fair and powerful to still depict it, as it can give a sense of what life was really like (and what it meant to those people). I am thankful we don't live in those times.

Braveheart had powerful scenes like this and, of course, the ending death. I feel they are more meaningful in light of the horrific violence people faced back then. A "Disney version," while less visually gruesome, wouldn't have the same impact for me.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
kyphysics said:
Yeah, I think it's eye-opening as to how brutal human existence was for most of history. War and violence were regular parts of life. I mean, it's true today too (just look at reports of rape and torture of Ukrainians by Russian troops - literally a big story came this week), but it's thankfully more rare/tame in modern, civilized societies.

As horrific as the onscreen stuff may be, I think it's fair and powerful to still depict it, as it can give a sense of what life was really like (and what it meant to those people). I am thankful we don't live in those times.

Braveheart had powerful scenes like this and, of course, the ending death. I feel they are more meaningful in light of the horrific violence people faced back then. A "Disney version," while less visually gruesome, wouldn't have the same impact for me.

Yes it is a beautiful powerful speech and those guys had limited ways to Raise and motivate people.
Oration like the clip and being a valiant warrior.
I am English but I wanted Wallace to kick our English ass in that film (I didn't know how it panned out, when Bruce turned up I thought that was his victory).

pinball1970 said:
I am English but I wanted Wallace to kick our English ass in that film (I didn't know how it panned out, when Bruce turned up I thought that was his victory).
haha. Yeah, sometimes, there is just a universal good guy and universal bad guy (regardless of nationality, ethnicity, religion, etc.) that people identify with and can support. Wallace was so inspirational in that film.

The music in Braveheart was also very moving. So many amazing things came together in that film.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
strangerep said:
I'm having difficulty finding things on Prime Video that I actually want to watch. I might have to take out a subscription to Binge to watch a couple of other things.
Prime's probably the worst major streamer, imho. I yawn at the stuff they have. . . .I think they just give you a smattering of free stuff to try to keep you hooked on Prime. It's not meant to be like a Netflix (whose primary business is video).

That being said, did you watch The Expanse?

pinball1970 said:
Yes it is a beautiful powerful speech and those guys had limited ways to Raise and motivate people.
Oration like the clip and being a valiant warrior.
Although this bit where Wallace had Hugh de Cressingham flayed and made a scabbard from his skin got left out of the movie

kind of like Shakespear’s Henry V speech where in reality the king did little more than rape and pillage his way across France

kyphysics said:
Prime's probably the worst major streamer, imho. I yawn at the stuff they have. . . .I think they just give you a smattering of free stuff to try to keep you hooked on Prime.
I subscribed to Prime just to get the Rings of Power, but it was a disappointment. I'm glad now that I didn't invest in a much better TV just to watch that. :oldfrown:

I binge-watched Star Trek - BNW on Paramount+, utilizing their 14-day free trial, but didn't find enough other stuff to make me want to subscribe for real.

kyphysics said:
It's not meant to be like a Netflix (whose primary business is video).
I've looked at Netflix's menu many times, but never found anything that made me want to subscribe.

kyphysics said:
That being said, did you watch The Expanse?
I started to, but got bored partway through Ep1 and didn't bother continuing. Maybe I'll give it another try when I'm desperately short of other entertainment. Have you watched Teleios? I'm about to give it a try, although it gets mediocre reviews.

strangerep said:
I subscribed to Prime just to get the Rings of Power, but it was a disappointment. I'm glad now that I didn't invest in a much better TV just to watch that. :oldfrown:

I binge-watched Star Trek - BNW on Paramount+, utilizing their 14-day free trial, but didn't find enough other stuff to make me want to subscribe for real.
I've looked at Netflix's menu many times, but never found anything that made me want to subscribe.

I started to, but got bored partway through Ep1 and didn't bother continuing. Maybe I'll give it another try when I'm desperately short of other entertainment. Have you watched Teleios?

re: Telelios - no

I can't seem to remember, but is Succession on Prime (I thought it was mutually shared with HBO Max)? I thought I saw it the other day, but am too lazy to login right now. I actually purchased Season 1 on YouTube. It's popular show if you're into rich people intrigue. LOL.

I'm the same in that I cannot find a good streamer. On Netflix, I actually watch their documentaries more than fictional shows. I just don't like their selection of fiction that much. Netflix has volume, but lots of crap, imho. On Disney+, I will watch the a good number of shows and movies. But, D+ lacks volume (it feels like they have 1/8th of the number of titles that Netflix does).

I haven't tried HBO Max yet. . .maybe I will.

Maybe in a few years, the less successful streamers will get bought out and merged with a better one. Consolidation could lead to a few mega winners, who have lots of content, making subbing to just one or two all you need. Nowadays, people seem to be churning a lot from one streamer to the next month-by-month, depending on hot shows.