What Are Your Favorite Hidden Gem Movies?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Artman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Movie
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
41 replies · 17K views
Shawshank, jacob's ladder, and fright night are mainstreams I thought- I remember seeing fright night 2 at drive in.(ok maybe it WAS a long time ago). But then maybe just because I've heard of them doesn't make them well known:wink:

As for me, some of my fav B movies are the skater classic "gleaming the cube", this other indian movie(can't think of the title at the moemnt) but it's a native american flick about this young momma's boy indian and his older bully-ish friend driving cross country. to recover te older boy's dad's remaains. There's some cool twists and plots in it, and I'm surprised I never saw it on the big screen. Will post if I think of the name.

There are more, but those are off the top of my head
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by iansmith
I had to see that movie for some class. the teacher also said it was good and was suggested by many students. Yeah rigth, I fell a sleep during the movie.

A good movie that is not well known is "cube" and "Pi".


The titles sound interesting...what are these two movies about?
 
Originally posted by Astrophysics
The titles sound interesting...what are these two movies about?

Pi - Dark, hyperkinetic movie about a paranoid mathematician searching for a key number which will unlock the universal patterns found in nature.

Cube - A group of people awaken in a strange environment that resembes a maze of cubes.
 
Just thought of another one: "K-Pax."

Cool little movie about a man who is placed in an asylum because he claims to come from a planet from a different solar system called K-Pax. He is very convincing and his doctor begins to believe him. Good movie.
 
Originally posted by Zantra
jacob's ladder

One of my all time favorites!
 
I thought of one I saw years ago. "First Men in the Moon" the movie based on the HG Wells novel. I love the feeling of the turn of the century1899 eccentric scientist succesfully making a trip to the moon. Great special effects by Ray Harryhausen. Really true to the feeling of the book.
 
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
One of my all time favorites!

Ya I saw it at the theatre and thought it was good too. Whoopi was in that one if I remember...hehe
 
Just saw the film called Pi, about an obsessed genius/madman who thinks he has found a fundamental number as a pattern of the universe. It's a film that tries to be very hard to like, but apparently fails.
 
I know one. It's called Spirited Away. It's a cartoon about a little girl who gets shifted away into another world and she has to fight to save her parents and return home. My favourite part is the scene where they show the grassfields and the strange totem heads. It's a really haunting landscape.
 
i like the movie called "following."

a writer wants ideas on characters and decides to follow random males and females just to see what they do.

then he follows someone interesting, a cat burglur.

the writer burguls and is drawn into an intricate plot.

same writer/director as memento, another good one about a guy with a five-minute memory.

i also like "the last temptation of christ."

cheers,
phoenix
 
I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner-- Waking Life. In my top 3 all time with The Matrix and Contact.
 
Thought of another one: The Star Trek spoof "Galaxy Quest." This movie has some moments that are really funny, if you don't take it too seriously.