What are your feelings about long gaps between classes & waiting on campus

• Thread starter Jurrasic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary: I can't do that every semester. :)In summary, it depends on the schedule and what classes you're taking. If you have a break in the middle of the day, it would be ideal to use that time to study, but if you have a long break, you might want to spend that time doing something else.
Jurrasic
for the next class to start? Sometimes classes at colleges are scheduled so inconveniently and odd, for example, they have a class which starts at 7:00 Am, the other class that you need to take that semester is at 7:00 pm in the evening -10Pm. OK Suppose you were to wait on campus from morning until night, do you think it would affect your grades? Do you think you would study more? Have you ever had to do this sort of thing? It seems pretty inky to have to stay at school the whole cluster of hours like that.

Physics news on Phys.org
This sem i have a vacant period of 4 hours, from 10am-2pm which is TTh. I think i would sched there my rendered service for the whole sem but if not possible, i'll consume it preferably inside the library. :)

That will depend on your work ethic, how far the trip from home to school is, and how you'd spend the extra time on campus. If you plan to go to the library in between classes, if you follow through with that plan, and if you manage to stay focused during that time, you'll probably end up getting some quality studying done. Whether or not this would be preferable to going back home depends on what you'd end up doing if you were back home--being perfectly honesty with yourself, would you be motivated enough to study, or would you get distracted by the internet, friends, TV, etc.? You'd also have to factor in time spent in transit, if that's significant, and how well you typically study at the library vs. at home.

I would personally love that, I would just take advantage of it and study in between. No problem with that. It depends on your work ethic, if you think your going to be distracted in between then try a different schedule.

As for me, the only thing that would bother me is getting hungry, because I'm an eating machine lol my metabolism is pretty high and food gets expensive.

I personally hate one or two hour breaks the most. It's the most inconvenient since you get little work done, and the only productive thing to do in that hour would be to eat a meal. However, you'd often be forced to eat a meal on campus, which tends to be very pricey. Even if you get back to your home, you may get somewhat distracted due to a preparation for the next class.

I love having breaks between my classes. I can get so much work done without the lure of just going home.

Anonymous217 said:
It's the most inconvenient since you get little work done, and the only productive thing to do in that hour would be to eat a meal.

I think you're underestimating that hour. Find a quiet workspace near your next class and head directly there after your first class, pull out something you're working on and get to it.

10hr break is too long to 'hang out' somewhere on campus for me, I'd probably fall asleep :P

2 hours or so between classes would be perfect. That gives time to get some legitimate studying/reading done. This is a bit of a habit I've gotten into - getting to my building 30 mins before class and reread the material so it's fresh for the instructor's teachings (realistically it's because of the extreme possible variance on traffic).

mege said:
10hr break is too long to 'hang out' somewhere on campus for me, I'd probably fall asleep :P

Yea, that is a bit long. Two semesters ago on Mondays and Wednesdays I had three classes in a row ending at noon, and then another three hour class at 7:00pm. I was essentially on campus for 13 hours on those days.

I had no shame at all in keeping a blanket and pillow in the trunk of my car and going down for a nap on one of the couches in the student center or library.

That long is an inconvenience but otherwise I like breaks. 2-3 hours is a good time to have lunch with friends and get some work done.

I did have one semester where I had a class end around 11 and the next was at 6. I would have a long fun lunch with friends till about 2 head to my father's house (luckily lives close to campus), relax and get all of my homework done for that 6pm class.

Was really cool, especially since the days when I didnt have those classes had me working on HW for 4-5hrs straight after class and then heading straight to work.

I would just go home in those 10 hours. That way I have some peace and quiet to study, I can make food at home for cheap instead of buying grossly overpriced food on campus, and maybe even take a nap. 10 hours is FAR too long to stay on campus between classes. 1-2 hours is perfect (like many have said) to find a nice place to study, or to meet friends for lunch, or w/e you want to accomplish. Any more than that and I would probably just head home (mind you I'm only a 10-15 min bus ride away from campus)

To sum up what others are hinting at: healthy eating and time management.

These are concerns for any student (or non-student for that matter). Packing some healthy meals and snacks, or knowing where to get some non-junk food, will be critical to maintaining your energy and keeping your acuity level. Knowing some good places to get work done (a study area, the library, etc.) as well as some good places to take a break (the recreation center, somewhere outside area on campus, a museum or art gallery on campus, etc.), and switching between study and break activities a few times will help normalize the routine and make your college experience fun and successful.

9-10 hours between classes on campus is pretty long; you'll have to try to make the best of it if you don't live nearby, because really you should then be saving most of your at-home time for a short wind-down and sleep. (This is why I include suggestions of the rec center, etc... in my opinion adding an exercise routine to your week should really help. I'd suggest swimming just because I find it "refreshing" as well as a good workout.)

Have you considered an on-campus job to fill in some of that time? It's not quite the same as a 10 hour gap, but I had a 4 hour gap between classes last semester, and I filled 2 of those hours in with tutoring.

Go home until then?

Jack21222 said:
Have you considered an on-campus job to fill in some of that time? It's not quite the same as a 10 hour gap, but I had a 4 hour gap between classes last semester, and I filled 2 of those hours in with tutoring.

I second this.
10 hours of gap. Definitely get an on-campus job...
at least take out 3 hours.

It depends on your situation. In my case I have Mondays and Wednesdays where I have a seven hour break between my morning classes and my night class. Also, I have several two-three hour breaks the other days. I plan on putting in around 20 hours towards my undergraduate research assistant job and another 15-20 hours towards studying.

physics girl phd said:
To sum up what others are hinting at: healthy eating and time management.

This

Having random class times is a great way to learn how to manage your time. Once you start your semester, you'll get into a groove and learn how to properly manage your time. I've had class times all over the place. Some semesters, I would have a class in the morning and in the afternoon, and work after class. Alot of the time, I'll grab something to eat and do homework in between classes.

1. How do long gaps between classes affect your productivity?

As a scientist, I value efficiency and productivity in my work. Long gaps between classes can disrupt my workflow and make it difficult to stay focused on my research or experiments. This can ultimately lead to delays in completing projects and meeting deadlines.

2. Do you think long gaps between classes are beneficial or detrimental to students?

This is a subjective question and the answer may vary depending on the individual. Some students may appreciate having a long break between classes to relax or catch up on other tasks, while others may find it disruptive to their schedule. In general, however, it is important for students to have a balanced schedule with enough time for both academics and personal responsibilities.

3. How do you cope with waiting on campus during long gaps between classes?

During long gaps between classes, I try to use my time wisely by either studying, catching up on emails or other tasks, or taking a break to relax and recharge. I also make sure to plan ahead and bring any necessary materials or work with me to the campus so that I can make the most of my time there.

4. Are there any potential negative impacts of waiting on campus for long periods of time?

Yes, there can be negative impacts of waiting on campus for long periods of time. These may include boredom, fatigue, and decreased motivation. It is important for students to find ways to stay engaged and use their time effectively to avoid these negative effects.

5. How can universities better address the issue of long gaps between classes?

One solution could be implementing a more efficient scheduling system that minimizes long gaps between classes. Additionally, universities could provide resources and spaces for students to study or relax during these breaks on campus. Another option could be offering online or hybrid classes to allow for more flexibility in scheduling and reduce the need for long gaps between classes.