Not allowed to take a graduate class

In summary, the undergraduate math student was told that only graduate students can enroll in a course, and this ruined their day. They are considering talking to their department head or the dean. However, if this is not resolved then they may have to change their degree to a general math degree.
Dens
I am an undergraduate math student. This fall, I wanted to enroll into a grad class. I have all the necessary math background to enroll (according to instructor). But last night, I got an email from him saying "He was told that only graduate students can register"

This ruined my day because now I may not graduate on time because of my TA lab conflicts and other classes' time. My university's department is small and there are only few math classes and I have taken most of them already (if not all)

The grad class was literally made for me. It was an analysis class that I was really interested in (plus I want to go to grad school!), it fitted PERFECTLY in my schedule, and I knew the prof very well (he knows me very well too. I've had class with him for 3 years straight in every term). I swear to god, this was destiny. This course was made so I could take it.

I go to a university with two campuses. For some reason, on the other campus, they do allow undergrad to enroll into grad classes (there is a form).

I am thinking about talking to our department head, but he might try to say irrelevant things (to change the topic) like "oh why don't you take this and that instead (like applied stats or something)?" when those other classes have almost nothing to do with my study (diff geometry). He did this once in the past when I was trying to find a undergrad advisor, but I guess he was trying to help.

Anything you advise me to do? I am willing to go to great lengths to get myself into the class.

Thank you for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your department head can help you. We can't. Deciding that you don't want to talk to him but want to talk to us seems not to be a winning strategy.

talk to your department head. if that doesn't work try the dean.
It's your life so don't be afraid to step on some toes if you have to.

The only thing I would be a little cautious about is whether or not this professor is telling you a little white lie. It may be that he simply doesn't want you in the class and is passing the blame off to the department.

As well, this may not be a reflection on you at all. It may be that they've had too many undergrads taking this, or some other, class, and failing out. Remember in most cases, a graduate class is a lot more work than an undergraduate class. It's possible that as the last department meeting it was decided that undergrads would no longer be able to take graduate classes.

I would ask around though. If you're really that excited for this course, it's probably worth making absolutely sure you can't take it.

And in a worst case scenario, you take it (or another version of it) when you get to graduate school.

Choppy said:
The only thing I would be a little cautious about is whether or not this professor is telling you a little white lie. It may be that he simply doesn't want you in the class and is passing the blame off to the department.

It is a possibility, though he seemed pretty happy in a previous email when I asked him. He cc'd the email (the one where he tells me it is only for grd students) to the department head. Maybe he hopes I talk to him instead

As well, this may not be a reflection on you at all. It may be that they've had too many undergrads taking this, or some other, class, and failing out. Remember in most cases, a graduate class is a lot more work than an undergraduate class. It's possible that as the last department meeting it was decided that undergrads would no longer be able to take graduate classes.

I would ask around though. If you're really that excited for this course, it's probably worth making absolutely sure you can't take it.

And in a worst case scenario, you take it (or another version of it) when you get to graduate school.
No, my college has a very small history and small department. I am pretty sure I am going to be the first one to take this class.

As an update. I just talk to him and he pretty much just said "I will look at your schedule later , but I can't promise anything". He used his authority to "force me to leave".

I need to change my degree to a general math degree now because I do not have enough pure math credits for my degree.

Last edited:
Go above the professor. Never heard of anything that you are not allow to enroll in any class like this. Next time, don't even mention this, just enroll!

I can't enroll because the system wouldn't allow me. Sitting in the class without being a real student is not an option since it could lead to "academic misconduct" for sitting through a class that you didn't pay for.

Dens said:
I can't enroll because the system wouldn't allow me. Sitting in the class without being a real student is not an option since it could lead to "academic misconduct" for sitting through a class that you didn't pay for.

People have said several times in this thread to go speak with your department head or some other person with real power over the department's policies. Go do that and come back, continuing to pester the professor who clearly doesn't have power over the issue will not help.

Dens said:
He used his authority to "force me to leave".

It will probably help you if you toned down the drama.

You're not supposed to be able to take this class. You are not a graduate student. You are asking for a favor. Treat it as such.

yungman said:
Go above the professor. Never heard of anything that you are not allow to enroll in any class like this. Next time, don't even mention this, just enroll!

It's a graduate level class and the poster is not a graduate student.

At most schools to take an graduate class while you are still an undergraduate you need special permission from the department and/or professor. If a student were to simply enroll without seeking this, there's a good chance that he or she would end up booted from the course and stuck on the first day of lectures scrambling to find a replacement class.

1. Why am I not allowed to take a graduate class?

There could be several reasons why you are not allowed to take a graduate class. It could be due to not meeting the prerequisite requirements, not being enrolled in a graduate program, or not having the necessary qualifications.

2. Can I appeal the decision of not being allowed to take a graduate class?

Yes, you can appeal the decision by contacting the graduate program director or the department chair. They will review your situation and make a decision based on their policies and guidelines.

3. What should I do if I want to take a graduate class but I am not allowed?

You can speak to your academic advisor or the professor teaching the class to discuss your interest and qualifications. They may be able to provide alternative options or help you meet the requirements for taking the class.

4. Are there any exceptions to not being allowed to take a graduate class?

In some cases, there may be exceptions for taking a graduate class, such as if you have relevant work experience or if you have taken the equivalent of the prerequisite courses at another institution. You can inquire with the graduate program or department for more information.

5. Can I take a graduate class as an undergraduate student?

In most cases, undergraduate students are not allowed to take graduate classes. However, some universities may have special programs or permission processes for highly qualified undergraduate students to take graduate level courses. You can inquire with your academic advisor or the graduate program for more information.