1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are your views on the future of Space Exploration

1. Jul 24, 2009 #1
    It is no secret that the days of mankind are numbered on Earth. Humans have the whole universe to explore to find resources or another spaceship. Will this be taken seriously by the general public or will it remain a dream of a fanatical few? Is there future in space exploration and would a career in that field be wise? I'd like to hear all of your opinions!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2009 #2
    Leaving the solar system takes a LONG time to get anywhere, so that's out of the question for now. We'll most likely make it as far as the moon and mars.

4. Jul 29, 2009 #3
    We have not yet found an alternative to photosynthesis and agra-(or aqua-)culture for our food. It requires at least 12 visible photons to make a single monosaccharide (sugar) molecule. Any Mars mission will either have to carry all food for the astronauts, or grow it in a special pressurized facility with artificial LED lighting for urban agriculture (solar insolation on Mars is about half of insolation here). The eight earthbound astronauts who lived inside Biosphere 2 for two years were not able to grow enough food on half an acre. If the Mars mission has its own agriculture (including domesticated animals?), all the CO2 (and water vapor) has to be recycled.

5. Jul 29, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I think the current path is the one that we are going to follow for the forseeable future: phasing-out manned spaceflight in favor of robotic probes. The reason is simple: bang for the buck.

And travel beyond Mars isn't a matter of being taken seriously or not, it is, at the moment, essentially technologically impossible.

6. Aug 1, 2009 #5
    I understand the amount of time it would take to travel beyond our solar system ,but maybe one day physicists and engineers will figure out how to make use of wormholes. With wormholes the whole universe will be within our reach.
    I feel the only way we can travel further than the solar system is if we can manipulate time (e.g the wormhole)

But for now, i hope we put a lot of emphasis on taking advantage of mars or the moon because it will offer so many solutions to todays problem....

7. Aug 1, 2009 #6
    i think we have gotten a lot of new technology because of it, but i still think its way too expensive, and i think much of the money could be far better spent.

8. Aug 1, 2009 #7
    in the short run the government will have to spend lots of money on it ,but in the long run it will be a good investment because besides the new technology and science to be discovered..... lots of industries, businesses and jobs will be created.

9. Aug 1, 2009 #8
    this is true. and perhaps i'm a little hypocritical, because i would give a leg to work at NASA.lol (i will be majoring an aerospace engineering)

10. Aug 1, 2009 #9
    haha, me too. thats why i started this thread. what college u planning to go to? what do u tnk about embry riddle?

11. Aug 1, 2009 #10
    i am 60 miles from embry riddle. i fell in love with it as soon as i stepped on campus. and then i saw the price tag. ouch! over thirty g's a year...but i think its almost worth it.havent really decided yet.

12. Aug 1, 2009 #11
    cool. coz i'm having trouble deciding btw georgiatech (way cheaper than embry riddle) and embry riddle (way more specialized)......i will probably make a last minute decision.

13. Aug 1, 2009 #12
    huh. im not sure. these days i lean more towards a college w/ an ROTC program so that i can jump into the air force after i graduate..and i will prolly make a last minute decision as well.

14. Aug 1, 2009 #13

russ_watters

Assuming, of course, that they exist! :rolleyes:
    Such as...?

15. Aug 1, 2009 #14
    russ brings up good points..

16. Aug 1, 2009 #15
    Some of the problems space exploration can solve include but are not limited to:

unlimited energy - if solar panels are placed in space and beamed back towards the earth we will have an unlimited supply of solar energy

One of the main reasons nuclear energy is not used is because of the storage of nuclear waste but if we explore space we could find a place to deposit the waste

unlimited resources - planets and asteriods have resources that are otherwise limited on earth, we can find a way to mine them

etc

Most of todays theories predict hidden dimensions and wormholes so in the future when technology catches up with speculation maybe wormholes and hidden dimension will be manipulated unless all the current theories of physics get some serious revision

17. Aug 2, 2009 #16

russ_watters

That does not require human space exploration.
    That does not require human space exploration (and isn't necessary anyway).
    Even if there were gold plated diamonds covering the surface of the moon, it wouldn't be economical to mine them.
    "Will"? Just because theory predicts they exist (and maybe they do...), that does not in any way imply they might be able to be exploited.

18. Aug 2, 2009 #17
    okay, i guess human space exploration might not solve today's problems and we will just have to wait and see about wormholes...But humans should start exploring space for the sake of the future.

The new technology and science will benefit us all. Setting human outposts in space will ensure the survival of the human race from catasrophes on earth. Mining other planets and asteroids might not be economical today ,but if space travel becomes a everyday thing then it will be.

19. Aug 2, 2009 #18
    i wouldnt hold my breath on the wormhole thing...

20. Aug 3, 2009 #19
    Just to add my two cents:

I'm firmly of the opinion that we should continue manned exploration because as Neil Armstrong points out; as humans, it's what we do. We discover a new frontier, we explore it, we colonise it and we exploit it. It's denying our nature not to continue.

21. Feb 10, 2010 #20
    It my opinion we need moon mission immediately to provide the innovations required to get us out of this economic doldrums we are now in. I would suggest that we re-engineer both the Apollo and Saturn V designs to current technology.

In addition, we need to develop a propulsion system that can reduce the trip time to Mars from four to six months to approximately four to six weeks.

The U.S. needs to continue prove to rest of the world, especially China, that it is still a Technological Superpower. It appears that we are getting by on our past laurels

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook