What area of physics should I go into?

In summary: For example, quantum computers, 3D printing, and big data. All of these things are going to be big in the next few years and there will always be demand for people who can work on them.In summary, if you want to do physics as a career, you should research what areas are in demand and look into schools that offer those areas of study.
sebCS
Please don't say "pick whatever you like". I like physics, I love it, and I want to do physics all my life, however my only concern is my job security after I graduate. I need guidance as to what areas of physics are in demand(and will continue to be in demand after I graduate in 5 years). I would like to be a researcher, but again, I don't know how secure of a job that would be. I have also been looking into attending Waterloo university(I live in Ontario), how good of a school would that be? I've heard mixed opinions.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are an American you should check out http://www.bls.gov/

That is the bureau of labor statistics. They provide all kinds of data on jobs including, but not limited to pay, demand, future outlook, prerequisites, etc.

If you are Canadian I imagine your country has a similar service and you should check it out.

I bet you were asking for career advice from a professional, sorry! Get over it :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Super Luminal said:
I bet you were asking for career advice from a professional, sorry! Get over it :wink:
I don't follow:confused:

:tongue:I was just making a joke there.

BUT SERIOUSLY, check out the website it will be helpful.

Thanks, I'm feeling pretty down :(

Just taking a shot here teaching?

You can think about what seems to be really useful in peoples' everyday lives that will always be making money and creating jobs. Think along the lines of like semiconductors, other materials, integrated circuits, medical imaging, photovoltaics, software, etc. You can see that these are very clearly engineering fields, but there are ways to go about doing some physics in them. For example, if you worked on quantum dot technology, you could be working with quantum computing in graduate school and then perhaps a TV company like Samsung might be interested in you because quantum dots are also an area of research in TV technology. Or if you're doing computationally intensive physics that requires a lot of programming, like astrophysics, quantum chromodynamics, or any kind of grid/n-body simulation you can easily be hired for your programming expertise (and if you look well enough, you can find some jobs that will utilize your mathematical/problem solving abilities from physics and math as well, like working on Wall St. or energy/oil companies).

There's more stuff, you just have to think about it a lot. It won't come to you, you have to think and research it a bit. Of course, no one can tell you what the future markets will look like, but you can be reasonably sure that some things will not go away.

1. What are the different areas of physics?

The main areas of physics are classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, relativity, quantum mechanics, and particle physics. There are also subfields such as astrophysics, biophysics, and materials physics.

2. How do I choose which area of physics to specialize in?

Choosing a specific area of physics to study depends on your interests and career goals. It's important to research and explore different areas to find what resonates with you the most.

3. Which area of physics has the most job opportunities?

The demand for physicists varies depending on the industry and location, but some areas with high job opportunities include materials science, biophysics, and engineering physics.

4. What skills are needed for different areas of physics?

Different areas of physics require different skills, but some common skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, mathematical and computational skills, and the ability to conduct experiments and analyze data.

5. What are some resources for learning more about different areas of physics?

There are many resources available for learning about different areas of physics, such as textbooks, online courses, scientific journals, and conferences. You can also reach out to professors or professionals in the field for advice and guidance.