What Branch of Physics Deals with Renewable or Clean Energy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 4K views
EnricoHendro
Messages
80
Reaction score
11
Hello there,

I am interested in renewable or clean or new energy sources. What branch of physics that I need to focus on in order to get a deep understanding on this? Also, what prerequisites do I need?

p.s. I am a self taught student, so I don't have any academic advisor
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can start with Thermodynamics. As you study you will be able to chart the proper course based on your interests. Aim for applied physics; chemical, electrical or mechanical engineering, stay away from theoretical physics it's pretty much useless to people that want to build things.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters and EnricoHendro
DaveE said:
You can start with Thermodynamics. As you study you will be able to chart the proper course based on your interests. Aim for applied physics; chemical, electrical or mechanical engineering, stay away from theoretical physics it's pretty much useless to people that want to build things.
I see. What mathematics do I need to cover in order to study thermo and applied physics? I am comfortable with derivatives and integration techniques. And also, do I need to have a deep understanding of fluid mechanics? Or is fluid mechanics covered in the intro physics books enough?
 
EnricoHendro said:
I see. What mathematics do I need to cover in order to study thermo and applied physics? I am comfortable with derivatives and integration techniques. And also, do I need to have a deep understanding of fluid mechanics? Or is fluid mechanics covered in the intro physics books enough?
More analytical math courses. Complex analysis (stokes theroem, green's functions, vector calculus, etc.), differential equations, and linear algebra. The "pure math" classes (Group Theory, etc.) are not so important. You only need fluid mechanics if you want to work in that area. It is definitely not covered in the first couple of years of university physics. But, you don't have to decide that yet.

For now focus on thermodynamics, complex analysis, dynamics. Also, start thinking about what area you want to focus on: Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Fluid Dynamics, EE, etc. all start to separate late in an undergraduate curriculum. You just can't learn it all; at least not initially. Many of these decisions are ones that you can make for yourself once you know what direction you want to head in. Energy production covers a wide range. The people that can make power from waves in the ocean are not the same people that will invent the next solar cell, make a better wind generator, or improve carbon capture systems.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: EnricoHendro
DaveE said:
More analytical math courses. Complex analysis (stokes theroem, green's functions, vector calculus, etc.), differential equations, and linear algebra. The "pure math" classes (Group Theory, etc.) are not so important. You only need fluid mechanics if you want to work in that area. It is definitely not covered in the first couple of years of university physics. But, you don't have to decide that yet.

For now focus on thermodynamics, complex analysis, dynamics. Also, start thinking about what area you want to focus on: Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Fluid Dynamics, EE, etc. all start to separate late in an undergraduate curriculum. You just can't learn it all; at least not initially. Many of these decisions are ones that you can make for yourself once you know what direction you want to head in. Energy production covers a wide range. The people that can make power from waves in the ocean are not the same people that will invent the next solar cell, make a better wind generator, or improve carbon capture systems.
Thank you for your advice. I will start digging thermo and the maths that you recommend. I am currently preparing for vector calculus by reviewing the basic calculus to make sure I don’t miss any important thing