1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What can I do with a computer programming degree?

1. Jul 7, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I went into computer programming as a career field right out of high school, I've only got an associate's degree in it but i'm just curious what kind of job out there would work well with a chemistry/physics degree and how well is the job market for science-type degrees? Is the job market as good as a job in computer programming?

I've taken a major interest in physics since high school and would love to go back to school for it. However I would like to not struggle getting a job in a related field so I'm a little weary of it.

Any information would be wonderful!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2011 #2
    I think you should stick to the path you have been following so far because Physics will not be bring you the same level of financial success that a career in IT will. If you want to get a Bachelor’s degree, you should invest in a http://www.cc-sd.edu/information-technology/bachelors/computer-science-programming-emphasis" [Broken]), people with computer science degrees make an average of $63,017, which places Computer Science among the highest paying majors today.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Aug 6, 2011 #3
    I wouldnt rule it out entirely - there are so many options for jobs that are 'outside of the box' for different paths of study. For example you could be a computer programmer and get a well paying job in finance, but you can also get a well paying job with a graduate (or undergraduate) degree in Physics. Finance is just an example here, but you get the point. Do you know more specifically what type of job you think you might want? Computer programming will undoubtedly leave you with the most options that can be more broadly applied, so maybe you can complete you BA/BS and do something in CS & minor in Physics??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook