Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What can I expect to see with a 6inch mirror?

1. Apr 5, 2016 #1
    I purchased a 6 inch mirror reflector telescope with GPS tracking, and hoping to do some astrophotography.

I previously had a 3in lens refractor. Will the resolution be twice as good?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Seeing will become (more) relevant, depending on atmospheric conditions. You collect four times the light, but resolution does not have to go up by a factor 2.

4. Apr 5, 2016 #3
    So if it would be 4x the light gathering then the resolution would be 4x right? Assuming conditions/distances of planets are the same.

Thanks

5. Apr 5, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

No, a factor 2 in resolution (in both axes) at the same light per pixel already needs a factor 4 more light. Without the atmosphere, you could get the same image quality with a 2 times better resolution (4 times the number of pixels). With the atmosphere, you probably won't reach that theoretical improvement.

6. Apr 5, 2016 #5
    Okay makes sense thanks a lot for the help :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted