What can I expect to see with a 6inch mirror?

• B
  • Thread starter kolleamm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, the speaker has purchased a 6 inch mirror reflector telescope with GPS tracking for astrophotography, having previously used a 3in lens refractor. They inquire about the potential increase in resolution with the new telescope and the relevance of atmospheric conditions. The expert explains that while the new telescope collects four times the light, the resolution may not necessarily be twice as good. They also mention that without the atmosphere, a 2 times better resolution would require 4 times more light, but this may not be achievable due to atmospheric conditions. The speaker expresses gratitude for the explanation.
kolleamm
I purchased a 6 inch mirror reflector telescope with GPS tracking, and hoping to do some astrophotography.

I previously had a 3in lens refractor. Will the resolution be twice as good?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Seeing will become (more) relevant, depending on atmospheric conditions. You collect four times the light, but resolution does not have to go up by a factor 2.

mfb said:
Seeing will become (more) relevant, depending on atmospheric conditions. You collect four times the light, but resolution does not have to go up by a factor 2.
So if it would be 4x the light gathering then the resolution would be 4x right? Assuming conditions/distances of planets are the same.

Thanks

kolleamm said:
So if it would be 4x the light gathering then the resolution would be 4x right?
No, a factor 2 in resolution (in both axes) at the same light per pixel already needs a factor 4 more light. Without the atmosphere, you could get the same image quality with a 2 times better resolution (4 times the number of pixels). With the atmosphere, you probably won't reach that theoretical improvement.

Okay makes sense thanks a lot for the help :D

1. What is the magnification power of a 6-inch mirror?

The magnification power of a 6-inch mirror depends on the focal length of the mirror and the eyepiece being used. Generally, a 6-inch mirror can achieve a magnification of up to 300x, but the optimal magnification for clear and sharp images is usually around 200x.

2. Can I see deep-sky objects with a 6-inch mirror?

Yes, a 6-inch mirror is capable of showing deep-sky objects such as galaxies, nebulae, and star clusters. However, the quality of the view will depend on various factors such as light pollution, atmospheric conditions, and the quality of the mirror itself.

3. What planets can I see with a 6-inch mirror?

With a 6-inch mirror, you can see all of the planets in our solar system, including Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. However, the level of detail and clarity will vary depending on the atmospheric conditions and the magnification used.

4. How far can I see with a 6-inch mirror?

The maximum distance you can see with a 6-inch mirror is determined by the resolving power of the mirror, which is affected by the aperture and focal length. Generally, a 6-inch mirror can resolve objects up to 200 light-years away.

5. Can I use a 6-inch mirror for astrophotography?

Yes, a 6-inch mirror can be used for astrophotography, but it may not be the most ideal option. The longer focal length of a 6-inch mirror can make it challenging to capture wide-field images, and the smaller aperture may not gather enough light for deep-sky objects. However, with the right equipment and techniques, you can still capture impressive images with a 6-inch mirror.