What Career Opportunities Exist for an Environmental Biology and Mechanical Engineering Double Major?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Seth0Mitchell
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Supposed to be A curious combo^ sorry

Hello, I was just wondering what kind of prospects one might seek with a Environmental Biology and Mechanical engineering double major. I'm currently studying meche, but I love ecology and just typically being in nature. I've also considered this and switching to civil and environmental engineering. I may also tack on a physics minor, seeing as my school only requires two more classes than what I have.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Seth0Mitchell and welcome to the forums.

One thing that comes to mind for this interesting combination are processes for food production like with say fisheries and other industrial processes for ensuring stability for the ecosystem.

I don't know if this kind of thing exists, but if it does it might interest you.

Also another thing that springs to mind (although this may not be mechanical engineering but petroleum engineering) has to do with designing oil systems that don't end up like the horrendous situation that the BP spill ended up producing.

By taking advantage of both fields you might end up in a situation where you can create awareness or give advice on how to create process standards that give better gaurantees of minimizing further ecological disasters.

In fact you could take the same thought to other areas (including manufacturing) by getting into a field, or actually creating your own job through your own efforts, to create or be involved in regulation for processes that carry detrimental effects to the surrounding ecology and biological life.

I'm sure with the right approach, you could either find somewhere that does this, or you could raise enough awareness yourself to create the kind of change that would make this possible.