Well that wing on outboard engines used to be called a 'cavitation plate'. I wonder if air pulled from the surface [ventilation] is now distinguished from cavitation which is a pressure induced phenomena in liquids??
Anyone have a reference that uses 'ventilation' for such bubble induced wear and tear? Wikipedia, for example, discusses what I have always known as 'cavitation' issues. I have never seen 'ventilation' terminology in marine applications. Maybe they modified terms??
I can verify that certain prop wear on larger boats, bubble induced noise on props,and even oscillation induced metal wear in water cooled cylinder liners in some diesel engnies [ like the Detroit Diesel 53 series] is called 'cavitation'. It is common practice in some older boats to double up on hull thickness right over props and sometimes inlcude sound deadening material there to combat such unwanted noise. In wet liner diesel engines, the manufacturer [DD] specificies certain additives in engine coolants and or antifreeze..nitrites, if I recall.