What causes the bursting of a spherical air bubble?

In summary, the bursting of a spherical air bubble is caused by the unstable shape of the bubble, which is easily disrupted by small pressure changes. The collisions of air molecules around the bubble are not symmetrical and the drying of the soap film also contributes to the bubble's collapse. The record for the longest lasting soap bubble is 108 days, achieved by James Dewar through extensive research on surface tension. However, bubbles can also be formed in other materials, such as glass, ceramics, and concrete, with varying levels of longevity.
jobsism
What actually causes the bursting of a spherical air bubble? Is it because of the random collisions of air molecules with the bubble? But if that's the case, shouldn't the collision effects be symmetrical? I mean, if air molecules are colliding at one point of the spherical bubble, it's diametrically opposite point also experiences collision effects from air molecules, so as to cancel any imbalance.

Or is the bubble collapse due to the drying of the water layer? But I've seen bubbles lasting weeks, if not months!

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean a soap bubble in air?

A spherical bubble is an unstable shape - small pressure changes disrupt it.
Small collisions around the bubble are never exactly symmetrical.
The shell does dry out ... also, in a soap bubble, the soapy film gets dragged to the bottom of the bubble - eventually the top is too thin to support itself.

I believe the record is held by James Dewar, who did a lot of research on surface tension in soap bubbles. His longest lasted 108 days. It's all in how you make the film.

Technically, if a bubble is a volume of air trapped in a spherical membrain of any kind - then you can blow bubbles in glass that last a very long time ... more generally, you get bubbles in things like ceramics and concrete. I've seen bubbles of air trapped underwater last for years. But I suspect you are thinking of soap bubbles.

Simon Bridge said:
You mean a soap bubble in air?

A spherical bubble is an unstable shape - small pressure changes disrupt it.
Small collisions around the bubble are never exactly symmetrical.
The shell does dry out ... also, in a soap bubble, the soapy film gets dragged to the bottom of the bubble - eventually the top is too thin to support itself.

I believe the record is held by James Dewar, who did a lot of research on surface tension in soap bubbles. His longest lasted 108 days. It's all in how you make the film.

Technically, if a bubble is a volume of air trapped in a spherical membrain of any kind - then you can blow bubbles in glass that last a very long time ... more generally, you get bubbles in things like ceramics and concrete. I've seen bubbles of air trapped underwater last for years. But I suspect you are thinking of soap bubbles.

Oh yes, I indeed meant a soap bubble! Sorry about the poor wording. :redface:

Thank you so much for the explanation! I was under the impression that random collisions with air molecules could be considered symmetrical. And I overlooked the downward drag of the soap film too.

I just started this bubble-blowing hobby, and was just researching ways to improve their longetivity. Well, it seems I won't be beating Dewar in a long time, hehe! :smile:

1. What causes an air bubble to burst?

The main cause of an air bubble bursting is an increase in pressure. When the pressure inside the bubble becomes greater than the surrounding pressure, the bubble will burst.

2. Can temperature affect the bursting of an air bubble?

Yes, temperature can affect the bursting of an air bubble. As temperature increases, the air inside the bubble will expand, causing an increase in pressure and potentially leading to the bubble bursting.

3. Is the size of an air bubble related to the likelihood of it bursting?

Not necessarily. The size of an air bubble does not determine its likelihood of bursting. The surrounding pressure and temperature are more significant factors.

4. How does surface tension play a role in the bursting of an air bubble?

Surface tension is a force that holds the molecules of a liquid together. When an air bubble is surrounded by liquid, the surface tension of the liquid can cause a pressure imbalance, making it easier for the bubble to burst.

5. What are some real-world examples of the bursting of air bubbles?

The bursting of air bubbles can be seen in many natural phenomena, such as the eruption of a volcano or the release of gases from underwater vents. It can also be observed in everyday situations, such as when opening a carbonated drink or blowing bubbles in bubble bath.