What CAUSES black cody radiation?

• Thread starter mahela007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, Blackbody radiation is the thermal radiation emitted by a substance, and is caused by the vibration of molecules or atoms within the substance. While an ideal black body emits radiation of all energies, real substances have specific characteristic frequencies corresponding to the vibration modes of their molecules. This is different from the emission spectrum of an atom, which has discrete and separated energy levels. The motion of the nuclei is more significant in thermal radiation, as they are centers of charge that vibrate thermally and emit classical electromagnetic energy.
mahela007
What causes black body radiation? I don't think it's the electrons being exited and falling back because the result of that would be the emission spectrum of the element...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the Blackbody Radiation you study in basic physics concerns an "ideal" black body, one that absorbs and re-emits radiation of ALL energies: that is, a perfect, classical black body and not one that preferentially absorbs and emits light at certain frequencies (as a "real-life" black body does).

That said, a real-life blackbody will show spectral lines. In fact, some studies in astronomy use this kind of blackbody analysis--e.g. relative intensities and spectral lines--to infer information about stars.

mahela007 said:
What causes black body radiation? I don't think it's the electrons being exited and falling back because the result of that would be the emission spectrum of the element...

The ideal black body is in the solid state and to see the emission spectra of the elements from which it is composed these elements must be in the gaseous/vapour state.

mahela007 said:

Most real substances are not perfect blackbodies. You seem to be asking about the actual physics of a real material and how it emits radiation; rather than specifically for an ideal blackbody. It's a very good question.

The sources of radiation depend on the substance. Mostly, as you say, it has nothing to do with electrons changing energy levels in an atom. For thermal radiation, it is mostly from vibrations of molecules, I believe.

Like the emissions spectrum of an atom, this radiation is also has a bunch of characteristic frequencies, corresponding to vibration modes of a molecule.

Cheers -- sylas

I don't want to be ungrateful or rude but only Sylas's answer helped. So.. black body radiation is caused by the atoms themselves vibrating really fast?

mahela007 said:
I don't want to be ungrateful or rude but only Sylas's answer helped. So.. black body radiation is caused by the atoms themselves vibrating really fast?

Let me elaborate on my answer.The close packing of atoms as in the solid state results in the creation of numerous extra energy levels which are so close together that they can be considered as a continuous energy band.The result is that when the solid is energised there is a continuous range of allowed electron jumps this giving rise to a continuous spectrum which is distinct from the line spectrum observed when the atoms are in the gaseous/vapour state, the energy levels in the latter case being discrete and separated.

oh... So it's like metallic bonding? (By the way.. thanks for your reply)

I haven't done any detailed calculations on this but I think in a typical engineering calculation, like heat coming off a brick wall or a cement pavement, the motion of the nucleii is more significant than what the electrons are doing. The nucleii are big centers of charge which vibrate thermally, both individually and in bulk modes, and thereby radiate classical e-m energy.

1. What is black body radiation?

Black body radiation is the electromagnetic radiation emitted by an object that absorbs all incoming radiation and reflects none. It is a type of thermal radiation, meaning it is caused by the heat of the object.

2. What causes black body radiation?

Black body radiation is caused by the thermal energy of an object. When an object is heated, its atoms and molecules vibrate and produce electromagnetic radiation. The frequency and intensity of this radiation depend on the temperature and surface properties of the object.

3. How does the color of an object affect its black body radiation?

The color of an object does not affect its black body radiation. The frequency and intensity of the radiation are solely determined by the temperature and surface properties of the object. However, the color of an object can affect how much radiation it absorbs and reflects, which can impact its temperature and therefore its black body radiation.

4. Why is it called "black" body radiation?

It is called "black" body radiation because an ideal black body is an object that absorbs all incoming radiation and reflects none. This means that the object would appear completely black to an outside observer. In reality, there are no perfect black bodies, but many objects can come close to exhibiting black body radiation, such as stars and planets.

5. Can black body radiation be controlled or harnessed?

Yes, black body radiation can be controlled and harnessed to some extent. For example, in photography and thermal imaging, black bodies are used as reference objects to calibrate the measurements. In addition, black body radiation is also used in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in the creation of infrared lamps and in the study of the properties of materials at high temperatures.