Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What causes computer brain-death ?

1. Aug 16, 2007 #1
    what causes "computer brain-death"?

I don't know what else to call it, but I'm sure you've all experienced it: hours of working on the computer, you leave the computer, and realize you have the mental capacity of a broccoli.
    It's like your brain doesn't function normally, it's lost in a sort of haze.

I've always wondered what causes it. Is it the refresh rates of the screen? the high contrast level? what is it? — it doesn't happen after hours of reading a book or working on paper, it only happens when working on the computer for long hours.

Is there a known cause for it, or is it too trivial to investigate :biggrin:?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The computer can provide an almost-constant, non-stop level of mental stimulation. It can be pretty exhausting.

- Warren

4. Aug 16, 2007 #3
    hm. I never thought of that, I always figured it was something to do with the screen, but it makes sense. I'm always doing a million things at once on the computer... browsing PF, checking my facebook and msn, listening to music, etc. and on top of that the actual work I'm supposed to be doing, if I find the time :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?