What causes the arrow of time ?

In summary: PP... is most likely due to the fact that Landau considered it so obvious. He argues that the interaction with a classical or macroscopic system is all that is needed to derive the PP. This is essentially what Penrose and Prigogine do, but they go further and argue that the irreversibility in classical statistical mechanics comes about from the very specific initial condition, which is highly improbable.

What causes “The arrow of time" ?

• Imperfect entanglement: The conservation laws are not exactly 100%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ah, we're getting somewhere Juan !
I'll cite Zeh too, from chapter 3 (the only one that matters here):
About a way of deriving apparent irreversible phenomena:
Their overwhelming occurrence in nature can thus be statistically derived
from the presumption of an improbable initial state.
This improbable initial state is called Kaltgeburt.
A bit further:
In order to describe the thermodynamical arrow of time statistically,
one either has to derive the Kaltgeburt in some form from a new and fundamental assumption, or simply to postulate it. The Second Law is by no
means incompatible with deterministic or T-symmetric dynamical laws; it is
just extremely improbable, and therefore in conflict with unbiased statistical
reasoning.
I understand this that POSTULATING an improbable initial state is of course "in conflict with unbiased statistical reasoning" ! But it is *possible*.
For all fairness, I add the following criticism:
The widespread `double standard' of readily accepting improbable
initial conditions while rejecting similar Ønal ones has been duly criticized by
Price (1996).
However, we are talking now about HOW REASONABLE IT IS TO POSTULATE SPECIAL INITIAL CONDITIONS. Note that Zeh DOES NOT SAY that he cannot derive irreversibility from special initial conditions (on the contrary!) ; he's discussing about whether this is a reasonable thing to do.
Concerning your argument about Poincare recurrence, this is recognized NOT to be a valid criticism:
Another historically relevant objection (Zermelo's Wiederkehreinwand
or recurrence objection) is mathematically correct, but does not apply to a
sufficiently young universe (as ours seems to be). It can be based on a theorem
by Poincare which states that every bounded mechanical system will return
as close as one wishes to its initial state within a sufficiently large time. The
entropy of closed systems would therefore have to return to its former values,
provided only the function F(z) is continuous. This is a special case of the
quasi-ergodic theorem which asserts that every system will come arbitrarily
close to any point on the hypersurface of fixed energy (and possibly of fixed
other analytical constants of the motion) within finite time.
While these theorems are mathematically correct, the recurrence objection
fails to apply, since the age of our universe is much smaller than the
Poincare times of a gas consisting of as few as ten or twenty particles. Their
recurrence to the vicinity of their initial states (or their coming close to any
other similarly speciØc state) can therefore be practically excluded.
Concerning this objection, Zeh further notices:
Rather, they illustrate that some
kind of Kaltgeburt is required in order to derive the thermodynamical arrow.
The theory of thermodynamically irreversible processes thus has to address
two main problems:
1. The investigation of realistic mechanisms which describe the dynamical
evolution away from certain (presumed) improbable initial states. This is
usually achieved in the form of master equations, which mimic a law-like
T-asymmetry | analogous to Ritz's retarded action-at-a-distance in electrodynamics.
Their ensemble dynamics is equivalent to a stochastic process
for individual states (applicable in the `forward' direction of time). These
asymmetric dynamical equations may then even describe the emergence
of order (Sect. 3.4).
2. The precise characterization of the required improbable initial states. This
leads again to the quest for an appropriate cosmic initial condition, similar
to the radiation arrow (cf. Sects. 2.2 and 5.3).
See, depending on how you read the text, you can illustrate one or the other point. What I read here (what I had read elsewhere and what I find plausible) is that there is no A PRIORI conflict between phenomenological irreversibility and time-symmetric microdynamics, but that this implies the so-called "Kaltgeburt" (improbable initial conditions). You can then go on about the reasonableness to POSTULATE this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Careful said:
No, it is not! :rofl: The Weyl curvature hypothesis is put in as a constraint on the initial phase of the universe (to explain a uniform big bang) and you should not look for more behind it. In any case, black hole physics still gives me an arrow of time conflicting with your claims :rofl: Moreover, you cannot speak about an intial value for the ricci tensor since it blows up if you go backwards in time towards the big bang.

It's been interesting observing the posts here, but 'time' to interject?

The initial phase of transitional expansion from the Big-Bang, is not the only phase?..if one does the maths for the Entropic Function with an evolving "expanding" Universe, one arrives in good agreement for the 'Entropic-Arrow-Time', as contained in the evidence.

But if one make a "reversed" action, then one has no option but to revolve the function with a "CONTRACTING", Universe?..thus the function of Arrow of Time is pointing from an "expansive" volume to one that is Contracting.

Just as the Arrow of Time is always pointing to the 'expanding' future, from a continued expansive past, in an expansive Universe that has turned around in which the Future, Present and Past are all contracting, there is an overlap of "Time's Arrow" at the intersecting contraction zones.

Example, the Future and Present are contracting at a differing rate (constant to each other ), but slower than the Past, the past by fact of its proximity to the Big-Bang, will always be contracting at a faster rate?..whilst the Arrow of Time will always project towards the Future, even in a "Contracting" Universe, the Arrow of Time within the frame of the Past has for AIP, been reversed, and therefore as one arrives at the BB, there is a Phase Junction that only flips the 'first' nearest arrow, the past arrow.

I do believe there are a number of papers that show "phase-flip" close to the BB?

The only physical turnaround take place for systems closest to the Big Bang, but the problem I see here is that everyone appears to be Physically turning the "Arrow of Time" around, when it is not actually needed to explain the 'direction' of its function.

Rewind the Universe in a contracting universe, and the Arrow of time still points to the Future:biggrin:

** The initial phase of transitional expansion from the Big-Bang, is not the only phase?..if one does the maths for the Entropic Function with an evolving "expanding" Universe, one arrives in good agreement for the 'Entropic-Arrow-Time', as contained in the evidence. **

Which entropic function ?? You know the fundamental degrees of freedom for the gravitational field + matter + radiation (and you can compute with it ?), that is interesting ! You should refer me to this beautiful theory which has no ``Hamiltonian´´ constraint problem, and does this covariantly. For the rest, you seem to have missed all the points made by Vanesch. The second law of thermodynamics just needs to hold for *our* physical time function and that is all there is to it. For these purposes, it is sufficient to say what the beginning is like and this could be done for example by demanding that the initial singularity is an extremely clean ``low entropy´´ one, that is: Weyl = 0. As said before, the recurrence time is extremely high and is of no practical interest. The rest just does not make any sense, perhaps some formula's and references would help :biggrin:

Careful said:
** The initial phase of transitional expansion from the Big-Bang, is not the only phase?..if one does the maths for the Entropic Function with an evolving "expanding" Universe, one arrives in good agreement for the 'Entropic-Arrow-Time', as contained in the evidence. **
Which entropic function ?? You know the fundamental degrees of freedom for the gravitational field + matter + radiation (and you can compute with it ?), that is interesting ! You should refer me to this beautiful theory which has no ``Hamiltonian´´ constraint problem, and does this covariantly. For the rest, you seem to have missed all the points made by Vanesch. The second law of thermodynamics just needs to hold for *our* physical time function and that is all there is to it. For these purposes, it is sufficient to say what the beginning is like and this could be done for example by demanding that the initial singularity is an extremely clean ``low entropy´´ one, that is: Weyl = 0. As said before, the recurrence time is extremely high and is of no practical interest. The rest just does not make any sense, perhaps some formula's and references would help :biggrin:

Give me a day or two, but I know it was Carrol?..or maybe someone similar.

Just found this:http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/04/041027.time.shtml

and doing a quicker search on Xarchive:http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0505037

but you are correct in your posting above, but I have details somewhere amongst my paperwork, so for now I will have to go dig deep.

vanesch said:
Ah, we're getting somewhere Juan !

By the first time!

vanesch said:
I understand this that POSTULATING an improbable initial state is of course "in conflict with unbiased statistical reasoning" ! But it is *possible*.

No because explained by Zeh the initial improbable state does not explain arrow of time because dynamics leave

improbable ---> probable

or

improbable ---> more improbable still

As already explain an initial low entropy state does not explain second law because dynamics (which is time reversible) leave both

300 ---> 1000

or

300 ---> 100

the second is newer experimentally verified

vanesch said:
Note that Zeh DOES NOT SAY that he cannot derive irreversibility from special initial conditions (on the contrary!)

No! he clearly says that use of an initial condition is not sufficients he said not and moreover emphasize the not. He only says that 3.44 is need (but not sufficient). I already cited he saying that.

Etc

Etc.

vanesch said:
that there is no A PRIORI conflict between phenomenological irreversibility and time-symmetric microdynamics, but that this implies the so-called "Kaltgeburt" (improbable initial conditions). You can then go on about the reasonableness to POSTULATE this.

This, of course, is false. Precisely, this is the reason that Zwanzig thechniqye has not solved the arrow of time problem even when is known during 50 years :biggrin:

I selected 'other' and have postulated the bow of time.

Juan R. said:
improbable ---> probable
or
improbable ---> more improbable still
As already explain an initial low entropy state does not explain second law because dynamics (which is time reversible) leave both
300 ---> 1000
or
300 ---> 100
the second is newer experimentally verified

Never say never :biggrin:

Consider 2 "times". One is the dynamic time t_dyn according to a reversible dynamics, and we call t_dyn = 0 when we reach a state of particularly low Boltzmann entropy according to your favorite slicing up of phase space using low-order correlation functions ("all the balls in the corner of the box").
For t_dyn = +5 and for t_dyn = -5 we will of course be in a box with higher Boltzmann entropy, simply because the point in phase space HAS MOVED. Chances are that the Boltzmann entropy at t_dyn = +5 is about equal to the Boltzmann entropy at t_dyn = -5 (and higher than at t_dyn = 0).

At t_dyn = + 10^80, the point has moved so far from the initial state, that it is probably in the "biggest box" which corresponds to thermodynamic equilibrium. It will also be there at t_dyn = - 10^80.

At t_dyn = 10^75087, the system is reaching a recurrency time for a given accuracy, so we can consider the system (almost) periodic with a period 10^75087.

There are two "special" periods: one is "just after" t_dyn = 0 (up to 10^80) and the other is "just before" t_dyn = 0 (down to -10^80). Outside of these two special lapses of time, the system is in the big box called "equilibrium" and nothing special happens to the low-order correlation functions.

In the period just AFTER t_dyn = 0, the Boltzmann entropy RISES with t_dyn. Second law. Horray. For creatures living in this time, they will LEARN things. They will remember the "past" (between t_dyn = 0 and t_obs) and expect the future. They have their "arrow of time" flowing as t_dyn.
In the period of thermodynamic death, no creatures will be around.
The interesting part is in the period BEFORE t_dyn = 0. Now, Boltzmann entropy DECREASES with t_dyn. However, creatures living in that period will FORGET things (in the sense of t_dyn). They will remember the future and expect the past. They have their "arrow of time" flowing in the OPPOSITE sense as t_dyn. But they will not notice ! They will experience a totally normal universe with a second law, in the sense of their souvenirs. It is sufficient, for them, to define a new dynamical time s_dyn = - t_dyn. The dynamical laws of nature being time-symmetric, they have the same form in s_dyn than they have in t_dyn. And now, as a function of increasing s_dyn, they find entropy ALSO increasing.

So, living creatures, in such a universe, will ALWAYS experience a second law of nature. They can only live CLOSE to a special initial condition (on both sides of t_dyn = 0) and their "arrow of time" will always POINT AWAY from the special initial condition.

So by some "antropological" principle, you can say that IF you are around, that means that the second law must be valid.

You can even push this further. Take just ANY initial condition. Quasi ergodicity then says that SOONER OR LATER, you will have to come close to a SPECIAL initial condition. Restart your clock (call this t_dyn = 0). You're back in the previous case!

From this viewpoint, wondering why there is a second law of thermodynamics comes down to wondering why you are living near the surface of a planet, while there is OVERWHELMING CHANCE that you should be somewhere floating in interstellar space, if all space is "equally probable".EDIT: I should have added of course that this is in a toy Newtonian universe with reversible dynamics.

Last edited:
I always took time as an illusion of thermodynamics

Time is rate

Time it self is dependent on events . If there are many events happened its required to go back to make it goes in the other direction (reversable).
ex:
if the universe is two atoms of hydrogen and one atom of oxygen
the three atoms compined to form water in two steps :
1 - hydrogen atom no.1 compine with theoxygen atom
2 - Hydrogen atom no.2 compine to the group .
i can go back in time by inverse the steps ( the same space dimensions of course )

but our universe is to complicate to reverse all events ( with its space dimensions )

so the term Time Arrow is correct because of irreversability .
and this can be titled as thermoidynamic rules , entropy or what ever you want .

vanesch said:
Never say never :biggrin:

Consider 2 "times". One is the dynamic time t_dyn according to a reversible dynamics, and we call t_dyn = 0 when we reach a state of particularly low Boltzmann entropy according to your favorite slicing up of phase space using low-order correlation functions ("all the balls in the corner of the box").
For t_dyn = +5 and for t_dyn = -5 we will of course be in a box with higher Boltzmann entropy, simply because the point in phase space HAS MOVED. Chances are that the Boltzmann entropy at t_dyn = +5 is about equal to the Boltzmann entropy at t_dyn = -5 (and higher than at t_dyn = 0).

At t_dyn = + 10^80, the point has moved so far from the initial state, that it is probably in the "biggest box" which corresponds to thermodynamic equilibrium. It will also be there at t_dyn = - 10^80.

At t_dyn = 10^75087, the system is reaching a recurrency time for a given accuracy, so we can consider the system (almost) periodic with a period 10^75087.

There are two "special" periods: one is "just after" t_dyn = 0 (up to 10^80) and the other is "just before" t_dyn = 0 (down to -10^80). Outside of these two special lapses of time, the system is in the big box called "equilibrium" and nothing special happens to the low-order correlation functions.

In the period just AFTER t_dyn = 0, the Boltzmann entropy RISES with t_dyn. Second law. Horray. For creatures living in this time, they will LEARN things. They will remember the "past" (between t_dyn = 0 and t_obs) and expect the future. They have their "arrow of time" flowing as t_dyn.
In the period of thermodynamic death, no creatures will be around.
The interesting part is in the period BEFORE t_dyn = 0. Now, Boltzmann entropy DECREASES with t_dyn. However, creatures living in that period will FORGET things (in the sense of t_dyn). They will remember the future and expect the past. They have their "arrow of time" flowing in the OPPOSITE sense as t_dyn. But they will not notice ! They will experience a totally normal universe with a second law, in the sense of their souvenirs. It is sufficient, for them, to define a new dynamical time s_dyn = - t_dyn. The dynamical laws of nature being time-symmetric, they have the same form in s_dyn than they have in t_dyn. And now, as a function of increasing s_dyn, they find entropy ALSO increasing.

So, living creatures, in such a universe, will ALWAYS experience a second law of nature. They can only live CLOSE to a special initial condition (on both sides of t_dyn = 0) and their "arrow of time" will always POINT AWAY from the special initial condition.

So by some "antropological" principle, you can say that IF you are around, that means that the second law must be valid.

You can even push this further. Take just ANY initial condition. Quasi ergodicity then says that SOONER OR LATER, you will have to come close to a SPECIAL initial condition. Restart your clock (call this t_dyn = 0). You're back in the previous case!

From this viewpoint, wondering why there is a second law of thermodynamics comes down to wondering why you are living near the surface of a planet, while there is OVERWHELMING CHANCE that you should be somewhere floating in interstellar space, if all space is "equally probable".

EDIT: I should have added of course that this is in a toy Newtonian universe with reversible dynamics.

I am sorry to say this but editing my posts, warning me or erasing my posts you do not become correct. I remark again you are wrong, your model is pure nonsense when rigorously studied (as has been done during last decades). It contains so many failures that i would need an entire year for correct all of them.

I cannot find others words for saying this. If by these words, i receive a new warning from you (i am at 93%!) and i am expulsed from PF, remember that you ideas will continue to be irrelevant for people who is doing research in this topic.

Remember also that you have 'manipulated' some of my posts, launched this poll with my name i newer did, etc, etc.

A science advisor on PF said to me

I am so sorry.

That idiot you were arguing with caused the problem.

Juan,

Why do you waste your energy in polemics:

... your model is pure nonsense when rigorously studied (as has been done during last decades) ...

Personally, I would be too happy to learn something here on this site, and I did quite often. Unfortunately, you are referring systematically to 'your' scientific authorities, cuting short any peer-to-peer discussion.

However, I enjoyed the topic. I observed that I had forgotten my old 'mysticism' (20 years ago I too believe the arrow of time needed additional magics), and today I feel quite confortable with undergraduate textbooks explanations of irreversibility. It took me that time to understand simple things !

Actually, it is clear now, for me, from simple particles-in-a-box examples that the why of irreversibility is a solved question and that there is no conflict between thermodynamics and reversible micro-dynamics. The real hard question is: how to integrate that in a fully developped theory of irreversible processes.

Juan R. said:
I am sorry to say this but editing my posts, warning me or erasing my posts you do not become correct. I remark again you are wrong, your model is pure nonsense when rigorously studied (as has been done during last decades). It contains so many failures that i would need an entire year for correct all of them.

I cannot find others words for saying this. If by these words, i receive a new warning from you (i am at 93%!) and i am expulsed from PF, remember that you ideas will continue to be irrelevant for people who is doing research in this topic.

Remember also that you have 'manipulated' some of my posts, launched this poll with my name i newer did, etc, etc.
Juan R. :

As this quote demonstrates, you seem to have a hard time making a scientific argument without peppering it with obnoxious personal insults. Such behavior is not acceptable here on PF.

The only "manipulation" of your posts that has been done is to remove some of the more egregious insults. (Also, two parallel threads were merged, and this led to the system making it look like you were the orginator of the poll, since it attributes the thread to the post with the earliest timestamp--my apologies for that.)

I hope that in the future you can conduct yourself in a more professional manner.

lalbatros said:
Actually, it is clear now, for me, from simple particles-in-a-box examples that the why of irreversibility is a solved question and that there is no conflict between thermodynamics and reversible micro-dynamics.
Yes, the question is solved, sort of. But, the problem I have with the solution is that it isn't a physical explanation for the arrow of time. Do you think that a deeper explanation (in terms of some fundamental physical process) is impossible, or is it just not considered because the quantitative considerations are dealt with adequately by the probabilistic model?

The idea that the universal configuration of 5 pm EST, Sunday, November 20, 2005 will be revisited (if only there were enough time ... but there isn't :confused:) seems to me to be unworthy of serious consideration as a statement of physics.

Sherlock,
Why do you think particles-in-a-box examples provide no physical explanation?
Yes, the question is solved, sort of. But, the problem I have with the solution is that it isn't a physical explanation for the arrow of time.
On the contrary, from these examples, the explanation appears as a result of both reversible micro-dynamics and the large number of particles involved. Both of these aspects are totally physical. The same applies for QM and the measurement postulate, for me.

Where I could agree with you is that we don't go very far with only an explanation. It doesn't give us a tool for any prediction. But there is at least a reasonnable explanation.

To go further, one need to develop -from this simple observations- a operating theory of irreversible processes. I do believe that such a theory might bring new surprises in physics, as this has been suggested by many already, also because there might be a spring for macrophysics sometimes and further because a huge variety of phenomenons are waiting their theory from there.

lalbatros said:
Sherlock,
Why do you think particles-in-a-box examples provide no physical explanation?
Because the phase space model isn't a physical model.
lalbatros said:
On the contrary, from these examples, the explanation appears as a result of both reversible micro-dynamics and the large number of particles involved. Both of these aspects are totally physical. The same applies for QM and the measurement postulate, for me.
The Hilbert space model isn't a physical model either.
lalbatros said:
Where I could agree with you is that we don't go very far with only an explanation. It doesn't give us a tool for any prediction. But there is at least a reasonnable explanation.
The point is that phase space and Hilbert space representations aren't physical explanations for what we observe. They're just methods of accounting for the quantitative results of experiments.

The accepted method of accounting for the arrow of time entails that, in our universe, eg., if you mix a liter of cold water with a liter of hot water which then becomes 2 liters of lukewarm water, then this mixture can and will (with some unmeasurably small probability) separate back into layers of cold water and hot water in the two liter container in which they were originally mixed.

A better starting point for a physical explanation of the arrow of time would be to assume that what is never observed (and can/will never, even according to the probabilistic model, be observed) simply can't happen in our universe, and then explore some more fundamental physical reasons why this should be so.

lalbatros said:
To go further, one need to develop -from this simple observations- a operating theory of irreversible processes. I do believe that such a theory might bring new surprises in physics, as this has been suggested by many already, also because there might be a spring for macrophysics sometimes and further because a huge variety of phenomenons are waiting their theory from there.
There are, I think, fundamental *physical* reasons for nature's arrow of time and the irreversibility that this entails. The reversibility of the fundamental equations of motion doesn't embody this -- so these equations aren't fundamental in that sense. The reversibility of the fundamental equations of motion isn't really a *time* reversibility. The reversibility that these equations describe just has to do with isolating a set of interactions and then being able to accurately describe this quantitatively in any direction, forward or backward. But natural processes don't just spontaneously reverse.

The stage is set for a new fundamental, first law of motion -- and it will involve the isotropic expansion of our universe, which is the *fundamental* motion.

The concepts of entropy, volumes in phase space, and numbers of quantum states have their uses -- but are inadequate as fundamental physical explanations for the arrow of time.

Sherlock,

I still try but cannot follow you:

The point is that phase space and Hilbert space representations aren't physical explanations for what we observe. They're just methods of accounting for the quantitative results of experiments.

What is then your criteria for a physical explanation or theory? And according to your criteria, can you give me an example of a physical theory? Would you reject classical mechanics as a physical theory?

In addition, I draw your attention to the fact that 'particles-in-a-box' arguments are precisely not pure algebraic accounting methods, but instead they are purely physical explanations. They precisely lack the quantitative aspect, and this is why many feel there is a vacuum in physics there to be filled with new develoments.

A better starting point for a physical explanation of the arrow of time would be to assume that what is never observed ...

Precisely, this would be a non-physical assumption. I am convinced that experiments on medium-scale systems (say 10 atoms in a box o:) ) would reveal that the second law of thermodynamics may fail sporadically. It may be an experiment quite difficult to built, but you can very easily test this on a computer. Note that the classical theory of fluctuations is precisely dealing with such tiny deviations in large systems.

Finally, I do not exclude additional sources of irreversibility, like the expansion of the universe. But it is difficult to believe that this would play any role when I pour milk in my cofee.:wink:

This will be once more the intervention of a "dreamer", only for the purpose to get some more scientific precisions... Time is going a little bit like the water of the river, from the top to the bottom; or a little bit like an elastic that would have been elongate: it must come back to the initial state. The chance to see a drop going in the opposite direction exists but is tiny. Could we see any analogy of this type in the irreversibility of the evolution of time? (I am here certainly rediscovering an illustration of the energy-time HUP and of the entropy). I would like to push the idea further. And what would have been hapen if the geometry of the universe would have been curved at the origin? With other words, cann't we consider that our universe is coming back to a more comfortable and economic geometric state? Or other original idea in the same direction: if as QFT pretends, there are permanent spontaneus fluctuations of the fields; are not these fluctuations in some way the "motor" of the time, due to the fact that each fluctuation must be followed by a relaxation? Sorry if this is a little bit confuse and thank you for giving a little bit order in my thoughts.

lalbatros said:
What is then your criteria for a physical explanation or theory? And according to your criteria, can you give me an example of a physical theory? Would you reject classical mechanics as a physical theory?
Ok, poor choice of words on my part. Of course qm and cm are physical theories, more or less.

What would be an approach to explaining the arrow of time that more closely approximates the way the universe actually works? Well, who knows -- but since dynamical, causal theories (where possible) are preferred over probabilistic ones, then I would start with the fundamental physical process and work from there. Of course there is some disagreement wrt what the fundamental physical process is. In my view, the fundamental physical process is the isotropic expansion of the universe.

Micro-processes aren't fundamental. They don't determine larger scale evolutions, but are, rather, carried along with and evolve according to the more fundamental, larger scale motions. Thus, the microstates of earlier universal configurations can't be duplicated or revisited as long as the universe continues to expand. The universe-scale expansion energy doesn't come from inside the boundaries of the universe. The expansion is the fundamental physical fact (the cause of the expansion is an unanswerable question), and the total kinetic energy was imparted before anything else inside the universe could happen. Wrt gravitation, the universe is not fundamentally driven by gravitation. Gravitational behavior emerged after the expansion began.

The conceptual, fundamental 'big picture' is of interacting waves in a hierarchy of media with the fundamental medium being a continuous medium with no particulate structure -- ie., the fundamental medium is undetectable, but it's a necessary metaphysical foundation for understanding the interconnectedness of all phenomena wrt the fundamental motion of the universe as a whole.

Instead of starting with very tiny things and giving them the combinatorial properties they need to account for experimental results, one might start at the most encompassing scale of motion (from which nothing is isolated) and work, via decreasingly encompassing and increasingly interactionally complicated scales, toward atoms and sub-atomic structures which can be effectively isolated from each other (eg., the behavior of atoms in Zurich right now is not affecting the behavior of the atoms in my computer in NYC right now).

Ok, I have very little idea what I'm talking about, but you get the general drift. Is it a silly way to approach things, or what?
Maybe you could say what I'm trying to say (if I've communicated anything of interest) in a better way. This is not a new idea. It comes from my more or less vague recollections of stuff I've read by a few physicists.

The ergodic hypothesis wrt the phase space of microstates might entail correct predictions in laboratory settings, but it's not a model of the way things actually work in nature , imho.

lalbatross said:
In addition, I draw your attention to the fact that 'particles-in-a-box' arguments are precisely not pure algebraic accounting methods, but instead they are purely physical explanations. They precisely lack the quantitative aspect, and this is why many feel there is a vacuum in physics there to be filled with new develoments.
Maybe I'm not thinking about the 'particles-in-a-box' argument correctly -- but as I understand it, say you have a few billion atoms of some gas in an enclosure inside another enclosure. Then you open smaller enclosure to let the gas escape and it expands to fill the larger enclosure, and you leave the opening to the smaller enclosure open. From what I understand, the ergodic hypothesis, via the phase space model says that it is possible for the gas to revisit the state in which it was entirely confined in the smaller enclosure -- and anything that can possibly happen, will, eventually, happen. Now, even though the model entails that the probability of this happening is so small that it will never be observed (by us anyway), the fact that it is a 'possibility' makes the model unacceptable to me. In the approach that I currently like, we will never see this happen because in an expanding universe it's dynamically impossible.

lalbatross said:
I am convinced that experiments on medium-scale systems (say 10 atoms in a box ) would reveal that the second law of thermodynamics may fail sporadically.
It may be an experiment quite difficult to built, but you can very easily test this on a computer. Note that the classical theory of fluctuations is precisely dealing with such tiny deviations in large systems.
If it's easily testable on a computer, then has it been done?

Anyway, if you build a computer simulation based on a theory that says a violation of the second law ot thermodynamics is possible but it will take (whatever time the theory says it will take to cycle through the possible microstates) some amount of 'time' only artificially accessible to a super computer, then 'observing' that to happen via the simulation would not necessarily be a confirmation of the physical truth of the model.

lalbatross said:
Finally, I do not exclude additional sources of irreversibility, like the expansion of the universe. But it is difficult to believe that this would play any role when I pour milk in my coffee.
In my view (which changes a lot) the expansion of the universe isn't an "additional" source of irreversibility. It's *the* source. There can be only one fundamental source. The expansion is the mother of all motion. Because of the expansion, all 'instantaneous' universal configurations that we observe are unique. Configuration number 10^50 is more like configuration number 10^50 - 1 than it is like configuration number 10^12. Configuration number 10^50 + 1 will be very much like configuration 10^50. And all configurations that have already happened can never happen again in an expanding universe.

Ok, it's difficult to connect the universal expansion to the milk in the coffee. Explaining gravitational behavior in terms of expanding waves and wave interactions will be difficult also. Nevertheless, what's wrong with taking the universal expansion as the starting point in attempting to *understand* the arrow of time and natural irreversibility of processes?

This post might well be moved to the la la land category, but I couldn't resist airing my really vague thoughts on this since I regard the discovery of the universal expansion as the single most important physical discovery of all time.

Sherlock said:
Ok, poor choice of words on my part. Of course qm and cm are physical theories, more or less.
What would be an approach to explaining the arrow of time that more closely approximates the way the universe actually works? Well, who knows -- but since dynamical, causal theories (where possible) are preferred over probabilistic ones, then I would start with the fundamental physical process and work from there. Of course there is some disagreement wrt what the fundamental physical process is. In my view, the fundamental physical process is the isotropic expansion of the universe.
Micro-processes aren't fundamental. They don't determine larger scale evolutions, but are, rather, carried along with and evolve according to the more fundamental, larger scale motions. Thus, the microstates of earlier universal configurations can't be duplicated or revisited as long as the universe continues to expand. The universe-scale expansion energy doesn't come from inside the boundaries of the universe. The expansion is the fundamental physical fact (the cause of the expansion is an unanswerable question).
Don't you think that a set of expanding points (say millions of millions of millions of ...) could not give the same result than a global expansion? How do you explain galaxies present in the early history of our universe?

Blackforest said:
Don't you think that a set of expanding points (say millions of millions of millions of ...) could not give the same result than a global expansion? How do you explain galaxies present in the early history of our universe?
I have no idea. :yuck: I just don't like the probabilistic explanation as a general explanation for the arrow of time and irreversibility. But we're probably stuck with doing it that way, so I'll just have to learn to love it. :smile:
There's a paper by Laughlin (iirc) about theories of everything wherein he talks about the limitations (and likely incorrectness?) of the reductionist approach. There are, apparently, organizing principles on many scales which aren't effectively captured by fundamental descriptions of nature which proceed from the sub-micro to the micro to the meso to the macroscopic.

Maybe nature actually works the other way around. Maybe the larger scales are the more fundamental, and the smaller scale stuff is the byproduct.

And, now I pledge to stop speculating about this because it's out of place in the quantum physics forum. Or is it? I don't know. I'm somewhat amazed that the thread hasn't been moved already. I guess it's that some of the proposed alternative explanations in the poll involve qm.

Last edited:
Sherlock said:
I have no idea. :yuck: .
Do you know what? I have also no explanation!
Sherlock said:
I just don't like the probabilistic explanation as a general explanation for the arrow of time and irreversibility. But we're probably stuck with doing it that way, so I'll just have to learn to love it. :smile:
I suspect that a wall results in the addition of stones, not conversely ... and exactly so the nation results from an addition of people living together (or at least trying to do it ...); when they don't, you get the intervention of a biggest order (the state) but I am not sure that such political, philosophical comparison can be extend to the quantum physics, you are right!

Arrow of Time poll-entropy aims the bow

Could it be increasing of Entropy that points the arrow of time? We don't see time running backward with all of the smoke heat, light, and ash coming back together to produce a fresh log in the fireplace, or chicks going back into eggs that are taken back into a hen's oviduct. All of these "natural processes" never seem to run backwards.
Wouldn't an ocean flow uphill through rivers to enter springs and go back into the ground, while raindrops emerge from the soil and go back into the sky to make clouds?
Ron

Arrow of Time

One solution might be that the "arrow of time" results from a temporal form of momentum. If the singularity-emergence postulated by a Big Bang type event expanded not only in 3 dimensions, but also along the temporal event line, then half of the initial energy would have had a momentum forward and half back. This would allow a neat explanation as to the dominance of normal matter and the relative scarcity of antimatter, and also support the theories of early inflationary expansion - the relative temporal proximity would have allowed energy and matter to interact more than now. This would also account for the seeming "slowing down" of the expansion.

Just a few thoughts.

K Hausman

entropy
if there is no other proper explanation

time is the mind. there is no time without mind. do not just jump to defensives... consider how the idea that there is change occurring depends on the minds perception that there was a past, in time, and therefore a continuity of change, extending into the future. where is the past and where is the future? as soon as there is a thought about what is percieved, that thought, which is the expression of mind on sense awareness, becomes a part of the minds' past. what is, is never touched by the mind. can anyone see? truth is, and the mind is confined to what was and it can imagine a future. this past and future are imaginary and utterly incomplete. the present cannot even be touched by thought. all ideas of time are thoughts and therefore do not touch the truth of It. know that the mind is time.

Hello:

Here is my "other" answer.

The "arrow of time" is good English, math nonsense. The member of the Lorentz group that flips the sign of time also keeps the three directions of space in place. The "arrow of spacetime" is good English, and good math. It is easy to imagine why spacetime has a handedness, the space part of spacetime is like that. Local transformations trump global ones.

doug
TheStandUpPhysicist.com

ps. I just filmed an episode on this topic (+ spin) this morning. Should be up on the site in January since post-production takes at least a month.

i haven't takent the time to read all the posts above but couldn't one possible answer come from statistical physics: the claussius inequality.

I haven't read all the replies. I voted some 'other' por exemplo, space is still expanding so is it reasonable to say the expansion of space causes the arrow, or is it posssible that some event of the distant future exerts an influence backwards through time drawing reality foward towards it. (Big Crunch, Big Rip, what ever). I am a spiritual fellow so I won't state what comes to mind as obvious just that hint.

Edit- I just noticed Lalbotros mention expansion. I'd like to add that Pelestration commented that his theory has something to say about the arrow of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
That still doesn't answer my question.

If time flies like an arrow, why do fruit flies like a banana?

humanity

I think that the "arrow of time" can be explained by the necessity of freedom of choice in human interaction with the universe. It may be a result of intelligent design, but wherein the human mind IS the creator. The humans react to a past and make choices effecting the future. Although it appears that organization naturally deteriorates, humans (even our evolution) tend to be some driving force towards another state of organization. Once we have "re-ordered" the cosmos, then it is essentially "unified", whereas the relative state is similar to the "initial condition" of the universe... just an illusion, and again necessitating human (or Mind) involvement to perpetuate reality.

I've logged in after a long time and read some of the exchanges between Juan R. & vanesch.I think,as vanesch has also said in one of his posts,that even if we were really going backwards in time(with the big bang having occurred sometime in future),we would 'experience' moving forward in time and find entropy to increase(i.e. the 2nd law of thermodynamics to hold).

Regarding irreversibility,Poincare recurrence times are indeed quite large for such a large system as our universe.And even if things start to reverse after a few billion years(which is unlikely) the 'experience' of time would still be that of moving forward in time(though it's anybody's guess!).

Last edited:
Moving back in time

I am interested what happens when I move back in time. I think that this is not only movie, which turns back. Because divergent light becomes convergent, light is coming from eyes..

What do you think that happens when gas, which moves in opposite direction of time contact with gas, which moves in ordinary direction of time. How two persons in different directions of time or two gases comunicate?

Regards

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
That still doesn't answer my question.
If time flies like an arrow, why do fruit flies like a banana?

:rofl: This is probably the best statement in the whole discussion :approve:

We take second law of thermodynamics as granted due to some obvious reasons. Direction of time doesn't make any sense to me. The question is nothing but why does things happen in one direction. Time is not as such a physical quantity. The concept of time is itself derived from the consequences of The law of Thermodynamics II.

To my opinion, the arrow of time is understood by physics since a very long time. Simple considerations like particles-in-a-box are quite clear and theoretical developments can only bring some 'operational' power to the simple ideas.

But where the arrow of time still remains hard to assimilate is with respect to the human being. We are prisonners of time. We can not freely travel in time, unlike space. This is the result of humans being part of the physical world instead of outside observers. Our lives give us the illusion of free will and we have difficulties to accept the restriction of time.

<h2>1. What is the arrow of time?</h2><p>The arrow of time is the concept that time only moves in one direction, from the past to the present to the future. It is often described as the asymmetry of time, as it only flows in one direction and cannot be reversed.</p><h2>2. What causes the arrow of time?</h2><p>The exact cause of the arrow of time is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that it is a result of the increasing disorder or entropy in the universe, while others propose that it is a fundamental property of time itself.</p><h2>3. Can the arrow of time be reversed?</h2><p>Currently, there is no known way to reverse the arrow of time. While some processes may appear to reverse in time, such as melting and freezing, the overall direction of time always remains the same.</p><h2>4. Does the arrow of time apply to all systems?</h2><p>The arrow of time is a fundamental principle of our universe and applies to all systems, from the smallest particles to the largest galaxies. However, some systems, such as black holes, may have different perceptions of time due to their extreme gravitational forces.</p><h2>5. How does the arrow of time relate to the concept of causality?</h2><p>The arrow of time is closely related to the concept of causality, as it suggests that events in the past cause events in the future, but not vice versa. This is known as the cause and effect relationship, which is a fundamental principle in physics and other sciences.</p>

1. What is the arrow of time?

The arrow of time is the concept that time only moves in one direction, from the past to the present to the future. It is often described as the asymmetry of time, as it only flows in one direction and cannot be reversed.

2. What causes the arrow of time?

The exact cause of the arrow of time is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that it is a result of the increasing disorder or entropy in the universe, while others propose that it is a fundamental property of time itself.

3. Can the arrow of time be reversed?

Currently, there is no known way to reverse the arrow of time. While some processes may appear to reverse in time, such as melting and freezing, the overall direction of time always remains the same.

4. Does the arrow of time apply to all systems?

The arrow of time is a fundamental principle of our universe and applies to all systems, from the smallest particles to the largest galaxies. However, some systems, such as black holes, may have different perceptions of time due to their extreme gravitational forces.

5. How does the arrow of time relate to the concept of causality?

The arrow of time is closely related to the concept of causality, as it suggests that events in the past cause events in the future, but not vice versa. This is known as the cause and effect relationship, which is a fundamental principle in physics and other sciences.