What chemical triggers muscle movement and can this be replicated in a lab?

  • Topic: Medical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter redrum42069
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Function
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
redrum42069
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
How do muscles work?
On a very through level.
I already know about fast/slow twitch muscles, fibers, and how muscles use oxygen, etc... But I am more interested in the chemical workings.
More so what chemical reacts with the nerves to give the muscle movement/ energy for movement
Also, can this effect be created in a lab using synthetic muscle.
 
Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
redrum42069 said:
How do muscles work?
On a very through level.

I'd recommend starting out by reading about it in an upper level physiology textbook, such as Berne & Levy or Guyton. That should help you focus your questions to something we could help you answer here. As it is, your question is too broad to answer in a forum post since you're asking for a complete lesson on muscle physiology.
 
I agree with Moonbear- the best place to look is in a good textbook.
However, what do you mean by this?

"More so what chemical reacts with the nerves to give the muscle movement/ energy for movement."

Nerves do not provide energy. They stimulate the reaction to occur. The energy is already in the muscle supplied in the form of glucose in the blood.

The motor neurone receives a chemical signal from the spinal cord. This instruction is then sent down the axon as an electrical action potential, and when it reaches the neuromuscular junction, it stimulates a neurotransmitter to be secreted into the synapse, which is then in turn detected by the muscle as an instruction to contract. If you're asking what this neurotransmitter is called, I think it is Acetylcholine.