What classes to take applied math?

In summary: I would suggest taking: Analysis B, Fourier Analysis, Topology, Fourier Analysis, Combinatorics, Optimization, Numerical Analysis, Real Analysis B, Abstract Algebra
mobiusdafrost
so here's the thing, i basically have a physics minor and decided to go to applied math grad school since i think it'll open up more options and involves more math and won't involve experiments than engineering. i don't want to do theoretical physics since I'm concerned about job opportunities

so far I've completed, these are all upperdiv:
Real Analysis A
Linear Algebra A
Differential Equations
PDEs
Complex Analysis
Probability Theory A

I need to take:
Math Modeling
Linear and Nonlinear Systems of DEs
Probability Theory B
4 more electives

For the electives, I've considered: Numerical Analysis, Combinatorics, Optimization, Abstract Algebra (I dropped the honors version), Topology, Fourier Analysis, Real Analysis B

which of the classes i need to take should i take asap?

I plan on going into applied linear algebra, DEs, PDEs, fluid mechanics or numerical analysis for applied math grad school, hopefully doing something with applications to physics

Physics news on Phys.org
Real analysis B, Fourier analysis, optimization and numerical analysis are probably the best applied math courses from the electives you listed. Actually optimization and numerical analysis will probably be the most applied, but I expect real analysis and Fourier analysis will be the most meaningful.

Actually my plans are kind of similar to your's. I started out in aerospace engineering, but I will be finishing my degree in math, and I am applying to applied math grad schools this Fall..

Also does it matter a lot if you don't take classes in sequence to grad schools? say, taking numerical analysis A in fall 07 and then numerical analyis B in fall 08 instead of spring 07, the semester immediately after taking part A?

also, isn't topology and abstract algebra on the math GRE? isn't the math GRE requried for applied math grad schools? I'm a 4th yr and plan to apply to grad schools next fall

Most PDE theory involves functional analysis. I would suggest Analysis B, Fourier Analysis, Topology, and either Optimization or numerical analysis.

alright thanks for the replies

in what order should i take the classes i still need for the degree?

1. What is applied math?

Applied math is a branch of mathematics that applies mathematical principles and methods to solve real-world problems in various fields, such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science.

2. What classes are typically included in applied math?

The specific classes included in applied math may vary depending on the institution, but some common ones include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, probability and statistics, numerical analysis, and optimization.

3. What skills are needed for success in applied math classes?

Some important skills for success in applied math classes include a strong foundation in algebra and calculus, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and the ability to apply mathematical concepts to real-world scenarios.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking applied math classes?

This may vary depending on the institution and specific class, but generally, a strong understanding of algebra, geometry, and precalculus is necessary for success in applied math classes. Some classes may also have prerequisites of previous math courses.

5. How can I use applied math in my future career?

Applied math skills are highly valued in various industries, such as finance, data analysis, engineering, and research. They can be used to solve complex problems, make data-driven decisions, and develop innovative solutions in a wide range of fields.