1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What color is the sky on extra-solar planet?

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    Hi I'm writing a story and I need to figure out what color the sky is on a planet orbiting Zeta Tucanae that has close to the same atmosphere as earth.

just so you know Zeta Tucanae's Spectrum is F9V and Color Index is 0.576

It would be great if you can tell me how to find the color myself, or direct me to something that will, that way I won't have to bug you guys in the future.

Thanks alot,
    Dan

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2
    Hmm, I don't know what color it is, but I don't think you'll be able to tell what the color of a planet's atmosphere is by the spectral type of its sun.

I think you need to know (or speculate) what the atmosphere of the planet is composed of to figure this out.

4. Oct 14, 2009 #3
    If it has the same composition as earth's atmosphere and the star emits over the entire visible spectrum (which I don't know enough about spectrum classifications to know what F9V means), then the sky will be blue during the day, red/yellow at dawn/dusk, and dark at night... same as Earth.

5. Oct 14, 2009 #4
    consider first of all that the spectrum as we see it is nothing more than a matter of perception, so if you were living on such a planet, depending on your evolution, the spectrum may be split up into only 2 or 3 or even 20 or 30 understandable divisions. and the 'colours' they see may be completely different to the ones you see, ie, even if they were on earth, they'd still see everything in their spectrum. long story short, you can pick anything that you'd like, but you would still have to use the ROYGBV system for your reader's to picture it. also if the planet is assumed to have an atmosphere similar to earth's, it would still operate the same way, as mentioned above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook