1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What courses can I expect after calculus?

1. Nov 6, 2013 #1
    I've completed calc 1-4 and I want to order textbooks for my upcoming courses however im not sure what they will be yet. WOuld linear algebra and an analysis class be a safe bet?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2013 #2
    What is your major?

You clearly did not give enough information for one to answer in a meaningful way.

4. Nov 6, 2013 #3
    There should be some sort of course catalog, or an adviser you can consult. You should check those places. I mean, what textbooks would you order anyways? Wouldn't you want to buy the book that is used in your course? You don't just buy random books do you?

5. Nov 6, 2013 #4
    The standard topics covered in undergraduate math are (in my experience):

analysis
    calculus
    real analysis
    complex analysis
    ODEs
    PDEs

algebra
    linear algebra
    abstract algebra
    number theory

geometry and topology
    topology
    differential geometry

Of course, the details will depend on your university's program. You should also consult with an adviser or professor.

6. Nov 6, 2013 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

No and No.
    Terrible advice like that is why I own Matrix Theory with Applications by Jack L Goldberg. Much better to buy good books.

7. Nov 7, 2013 #6
    There's a course catalog however it's not in any particular order, it's just a bunch of classes I'm expected to take. I'm not going to be making my schedule for probably another month so idk which specific books I need however older edition books on subjects like linear algebra are like 2 bucks so I am planning on buying some of those and checking them out

Math major btw

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook