What courses can I expect after calculus?

In summary, the person is a math major who has completed calculus 1-4 and is unsure of which textbooks to order for their upcoming courses. They are specifically wondering if linear algebra and an analysis class would be a safe bet. The other person suggests consulting a course catalog or an adviser for specific book recommendations. They also mention the standard topics covered in undergraduate math and suggest buying textbooks that are used in the courses rather than random books. The person owning a certain book as an example of this. However, the original person mentions that they have access to a course catalog but it is not in any particular order and they will not be making their schedule for another month. They plan on buying older edition books on subjects like linear algebra and checking them
Joe626
I've completed calc 1-4 and I want to order textbooks for my upcoming courses however I am not sure what they will be yet. WOuld linear algebra and an analysis class be a safe bet?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your major?

You clearly did not give enough information for one to answer in a meaningful way.

There should be some sort of course catalog, or an adviser you can consult. You should check those places. I mean, what textbooks would you order anyways? Wouldn't you want to buy the book that is used in your course? You don't just buy random books do you?

The standard topics covered in undergraduate math are (in my experience):

analysis
calculus
real analysis
complex analysis
ODEs
PDEs

algebra
linear algebra
abstract algebra
number theory

geometry and topology
topology
differential geometry

Of course, the details will depend on your university's program. You should also consult with an adviser or professor.

DimReg said:
Wouldn't you want to buy the book that is used in your course? You don't just buy random books do you?
No and No.
Terrible advice like that is why I own Matrix Theory with Applications by Jack L Goldberg. Much better to buy good books.

DimReg said:
There should be some sort of course catalog, or an adviser you can consult. You should check those places. I mean, what textbooks would you order anyways? Wouldn't you want to buy the book that is used in your course? You don't just buy random books do you?
There's a course catalog however it's not in any particular order, it's just a bunch of classes I'm expected to take. I'm not going to be making my schedule for probably another month so idk which specific books I need however older edition books on subjects like linear algebra are like 2 bucks so I am planning on buying some of those and checking them out

Math major btw

What courses can I expect after calculus?

After completing a calculus course, there are a variety of courses you can expect to take depending on your major and university requirements. Some of the most commonly taken courses include:

• Linear Algebra
  • Differential Equations
  • Multivariable Calculus
  • Statistics
  • Physics

These courses build upon the concepts and skills learned in calculus and are important for many fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

Do I need to take all of these courses?

The specific courses you need to take after calculus will depend on your major and university requirements. Some majors may only require a few of these courses while others may require all of them. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine the courses that are necessary for your chosen major.

What if I struggle with calculus?

Calculus can be a challenging subject for many students. If you are struggling with the material, it is important to seek help from your professor or a tutor. Many universities also offer resources such as study groups and tutoring centers for students who need extra support. Don't be afraid to ask for help!

Do I need to take these courses in a specific order?

While some courses may have prerequisites, the order in which you take these courses after calculus may vary depending on your university's curriculum and your major. It is important to check with your academic advisor to determine the recommended course sequence for your major.

How can these courses be applied in the real world?

Many of the concepts and skills learned in these courses are applicable in various fields and industries. Linear algebra, for example, is used in computer graphics and machine learning, while differential equations are used in modeling and predicting physical systems. Statistics is also used in a wide range of fields such as business, medicine, and social sciences. These courses provide a strong foundation for problem-solving and critical thinking, which are essential skills in any profession.