What Determines the Gradient of ln(ax) for Different Values of a?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter JizzaDaMan
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 8K views
JizzaDaMan
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
It's easy to show that [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] of [itex]y = ln(ax)[/itex] where [itex]a \in ℝ, a > 0[/itex] is always [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] :

[itex]y = ln(ax)[/itex]
[itex]y = ln(a) + ln(x)[/itex]

[itex]ln(a)[/itex] is constant so its derivative is 0, and the derivative of [itex]ln(x)[/itex] is [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex].
Hence:

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{x}[/itex]

Attached is an image of y=ln(ax) with a = 1,2,3,4,5. It also shows all of their derivatives to be the same (the curve at the top). But they are clearly different curves! There must be some point at which one has a larger gradient than the others?? What am I missing?
 
Attachments
  • Screenshot from 2013-11-30 12:27:43.jpg
    Screenshot from 2013-11-30 12:27:43.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 689
Physics news on Phys.org
JizzaDaMan said:
But they are clearly different curves! There must be some point at which one has a larger gradient than the others?? What am I missing?
The curves are just shifted upwards/downwards with respect to each other. This is not easy to see in the graph (as their non-vertical "distance" is not constant), but it is right. And constant offsets do not show up in the derivative.
 
oh of course! :D I feel a bit stupid now :P I guess they're shifted up by ln(a) right?