What did you get for your parent's birthday?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around buying gifts for the speaker's parents. The speaker gave their dad a night time picture of Earth's lights and a gas card for his birthday, while they got their mom an address book with unique columns. The speaker also mentioned their previous gift of a photo of the US from a DMSP satellite. The conversation ended with the speaker discussing their dad's complaints about watches and their hesitation to tell him about Einstein's theory of time.
Mk
What did you get?

Physics news on Phys.org
what could be better than 'ME'?

I gave my parents a night out at one of there favorit hotels last year. Dads turning 80 this year, and told us he wants nothing for his Birthday. So I'm buying him a 80 dollar Gas card ..for his car.

I gave my dad a night time picture of the Earth's lights. The picture is a compilation of several pictures from a DSMP weather satellite.

I used to control DMSP satellites, so I had given him a 8x10 black and white night time photo of the US about 20 years ago and last time I visited, I noticed he still had it on the wall. I decided a bigger, more up to date photo might be nice.

hypatia said:
I gave my parents a night out at one of there favorit hotels last year. Dads turning 80 this year, and told us he wants nothing for his Birthday. So I'm buying him a 80 dollar Gas card ..for his car.
So, you're giving your dad gas for his birthday? :rofl: I'm sure he loves you anyway. :biggrin:

Mine are lucky when I remember to mail them a card. Sometimes I surprise them with a phone call...but I wait until it's later at night so they're tired of talking to everyone else all day first; it keeps the call shorter.

I just got my mum an address book with the usual columns for name, address, phone number, and then a series of tick boxes where you can note whether they're 'good', 'bad' or 'ugly'. Smashing.

scott1 said:
I'am getting parents this year
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=108147

My dad always compains about the how watches are little off.I still don't know how I'am going to tell him what Einstein said about time.
wow. compact and everything

1. What is the best gift you have given your parents for their birthday?

The best gift I have given my parents for their birthday was a personalized photo album filled with pictures of our family and memories we have shared together.

2. What is the most meaningful gift you have given your parents for their birthday?

The most meaningful gift I have given my parents for their birthday was a handmade scrapbook filled with handwritten notes and letters expressing my love and gratitude towards them.

3. How do you decide on a gift for your parent's birthday?

I usually try to think of something that they have mentioned wanting or needing in the past, or something that would hold sentimental value to them. I also consider their hobbies and interests to find a personalized gift.

4. Do you have any unique gift ideas for parents' birthdays?

One unique gift idea for parents' birthdays could be a cooking class for them to enjoy together, or a personalized painting or artwork of their favorite place or memory.

5. How do you make your parent's birthday special without spending a lot of money?

There are many ways to make your parent's birthday special without spending a lot of money. You can cook them a homemade meal, plan a picnic or a day trip to a nearby location, or simply spend quality time with them and make them feel loved and appreciated.