Something to help your elderly parents with their television

• Thread starter Whipley Snidelash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Television
In summary, most remotes have buttons that are hard to see and easy to hit by accident. I shaved them all off flush and it's been a problem-free experience.
Whipley Snidelash
My elderly parents, before they passed, would call me into the room almost every night to unbork their television because of the remote control. It seems every single remote control, and if you’re like me you have a pile of them, has the exact same problem that baffles the elderly who are developing cognitive problems due to dementia, Alzheimer’s or just old age. Every remote control has buttons that will call up a menu and every single one, I have anyway, needs a different button to get rid of at least some of them. So I came up with a solution.

Virtually all of them have soft buttons now and the unsophisticated only need power, volume and channel. I took a razor blade and shaved all the rest off flush, no more problems and you can still use the shaved buttons if necessary.

not even going to get into the stupidity of our species that they can’t figure this out and I would bet that almost every remote has this problem.

Likes Wrichik Basu and Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
My Xfinity remote has voice recognition now, and it seems to work pretty well. Also, I don't know if they have the capability to control TVs yet, but my wife uses "Alexa" a lot to do things and manage lists, etc. It looks like it can interface via WiFi with lots of Smart Home devices...

https://alexyanything.com/

I just got XFinity, no remote or equipment, bought the modem separate. What does your Xfinity remote control?

Whipley Snidelash said:
Virtually all of them have soft buttons now and the unsophisticated only need power, volume and channel. I took a razor blade and shaved all the rest off flush, no more problems and you can still use the shaved buttons if necessary.
Variation of the same thing; I've seen examples where people wrapped electrical tape or otherwise covered their parents'/grandparents' remotes, with cutouts for the only buttons they really needed. Simplifying is definitely useful.

Whipley Snidelash said:
I just got XFinity, no remote or equipment, bought the modem separate. What does your Xfinity remote control?
Just the cable box and TV so far. You enter a code for the brand/model of the TV so it knows what IR encoding to use for stuff like volume, brightness, etc. The button in the lower middle with the microphone symbol on it is what you push to talk into it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079J63554/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1600368991156.png

My problem is that with 5 kids the remote somehow often wanders into a different room. Nobody ever takes it out of the room. So ours must be alive, growing legs as needed, and then undergoing atrophy before the legs can be directly observed.

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, Wrichik Basu, Frigus and 3 others
I don't have a remote for my TV. I guess that's because I don't have a TV.

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, Wrichik Basu, 256bits and 2 others
George Jones said:
Oh, you're one of those show-off power users who streams everything to their iPhone I guess...

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary
berkeman said:
Oh, you're one of those show-off power users who streams everything to their iPhone I guess...

Nope. :smile: I don't have a cell phone. I tell my classes "If i had a cell phone, my partner could get a hold of me."

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary
George Jones said:
That's probably a good thing - in 2020.

Likes Tom.G and berkeman
So you bought just the remote? Just for the voice control feature? How does it relate to XFinity? Trying to determine if I want one.

Whipley Snidelash said:
So you bought just the remote? Just for the voice control feature? How does it relate to XFinity? Trying to determine if I want one.
No, it came with the system. We used to use AT&T DSL when we lived in an apartment downtown, but two years ago we moved into the hills east of San Jose, and DSL couldn't reach us anymore. So we swtiched to Xfinity cable service for TV and Internet, and they installed their modem (WiFi and wired Ethernet) and we got two TV control boxes with remotes as part of the package.

Whipley Snidelash said:
has the exact same problem that baffles the elderly who are developing cognitive problems due to dementia, Alzheimer’s or just old age.
Just the elderly.
I think most remotes are someone's way of having some fun at the expense of the user, just a marketing gimmic, or an last minute design of putting parts in a box, shake them up and out comes a stupid remote with buttons that do no make any sense.

There must a Dibert cartoon about this.

Likes Bystander
256bits said:
I think most remotes are someone's way of having some fun at the expense of the user...
Phones are just the same, I think. No wonder that 'senior phone' is now a category on its own right.

Ps.: oh, wait. So when I put a gimmic-free custom rom to my phone then I'm actually turning it into a kind of 'senior phone' :doh:

Likes 256bits

1. How can I simplify the remote control for my elderly parents?

There are a few options to simplify the remote control for your elderly parents. One option is to invest in a universal remote with larger buttons and simpler layout. Another option is to use a voice-activated remote or a remote with voice-control features. You can also program the remote to only have the necessary buttons for the channels and features your parents regularly use.

2. Is there a way to make the text on the TV screen easier to read for my elderly parents?

Yes, there are a few ways to make the text on the TV screen easier to read for your elderly parents. Many TVs have a zoom function that allows you to enlarge the text on the screen. You can also adjust the contrast and brightness settings to make the text more visible. Investing in a larger screen TV or a TV with high-definition display can also make the text easier to read.

3. How can I set up the TV for my elderly parents to easily find their favorite channels and shows?

One option is to create a favorites list on your parents' TV. This list can include their most-watched channels and shows, making it easier for them to find what they want to watch. You can also rearrange the channel lineup to place their favorites at the beginning. Another option is to set up voice commands or a voice assistant to help them navigate to their desired channels or shows.

4. Are there any devices that can help my elderly parents control the TV without using the remote?

Yes, there are a few devices that can help your elderly parents control the TV without using the remote. Some TVs have a feature that allows you to control them with gestures, such as waving your hand or pointing a finger. There are also devices like a wireless keyboard or a smartphone app that can be used as a remote control alternative.

5. How can I prevent my elderly parents from accidentally changing the TV settings?

One way to prevent accidental changes to the TV settings is to use parental controls. These can be set up to restrict access to certain channels or features, preventing your elderly parents from making unintended changes. Another option is to invest in a TV with a lock function, allowing you to lock in the desired settings and prevent any changes.