What do Greek symbols in math represent and how do you decipher them?

• Thread starter Newtons Apple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary: The more you study math, the more you will become familiar with these exceptions.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Greek letters in mathematical equations and how they can have different meanings in different contexts. The speaker recommends gaining experience in math to learn the meanings of these symbols. They also mention that the standard rules of algebra and order of operations still apply to complex equations.
Newtons Apple
Ok... if there's one thing that really rustles my jimmies...is when I look at an equation an it's chock filled of greek letters, in a big swirl of greek alphabet soup...

I have a question, when you approach a new equation, do you automatically know what the symbols mean? Is it relative to the type of equation? I was looking at this, in regards to

1e89c1d262f761b2b40555faed1f4f98.png

and
67bbe052e5a971fd04c67524d94f054a.png

Are the two greek letters here, epsilon and sigma(?), always to refer to the same thing for every problem? How do you know then what they refer to? I see a lot of problems where they don't specify what the symbols mean? I look online and I get varying answers.

Is there a set way that one should "read" a statement like the one below? And more specifically what on Earth does epsilon stand for here, and how do you know?

92c126256beabc0e72f549ebbd555ea5.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Some Greek letters are standard, other differ in use. For example, ##\sigma## (=sigma) might stand for different things depending on the text. For example, in statistics texts, it might stand for the standard deviation. But in other texts, like group theory, it might be a function. It really depends.

The "epsilon" symbol is usually written as ##\epsilon## or ##\varepsilon##. The symbol you wrote above is ##\in## and it denote set membership. This is standard over all of mathematics. You won't meet a math text where ##\in## means something entirely different. You might meet texts where ##\sigma## or ##\varepsilon## is different though.

How do you know? Experience. If you study a lot of math texts, you will start to know such things. The ##\in## for set membership is usually taught in intro proofs books or set theory.

Likes 1 person
Okay... that actually helps. A lot. How do you pronouce(and type)..ehh that E character?
Is there anyway to tell which characters are constant and which can change depending on the context? Or do I just have to gain experience?

Lastly, when you have something like,
30e43f9eaa4a034ff846c50d471f14df.png

(yes I"m studying proofs...vainly attempting to study proofs)

Can you just look at it with no prior knowledge to what it is and know what is means? It seems like people can just post a formula or equation such as this.. with all sorts of greek letters and variables mixed in and they just know what it means...

Newtons Apple said:
Okay... that actually helps. A lot. How do you pronouce(and type)..ehh that E character?

"Element of" or "in".

Is there anyway to tell which characters are constant and which can change depending on the context? Or do I just have to gain experience?

It comes down to experience. But see this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mathematical_symbols

Lastly, when you have something like,
30e43f9eaa4a034ff846c50d471f14df.png

(yes I"m studying proofs...vainly attempting to study proofs)

Can you just look at it with no prior knowledge to what it is and know what is means? It seems like people can just post a formula or equation such as this.. with all sorts of greek letters and variables mixed in and they just know what it means...

No. Without previous knowledge, I have no idea what it's about. I might figure out some parts though. But certainly not the entire thing.

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
No. Without previous knowledge, I have no idea what it's about. I might figure out some parts though. But certainly not the entire thing.

Ah, I see. Lastly, do the normal rules of algebra, order of operations, and simple algebraic rules even apply to these huge and more complex equations, or formulas?

And thanks for the list of math symbols!

Newtons Apple said:
Ah, I see. Lastly, do the normal rules of algebra, order of operations, and simple algebraic rules even apply to these huge and more complex equations, or formulas?

Yes, they should still apply. However, there might be some instances where they don't apply, but this should always be clear from context.

1. What are some commonly used Greek symbols in math?

Some commonly used Greek symbols in math include alpha (α), beta (β), gamma (γ), delta (δ), and theta (θ).

2. How are Greek symbols used in math equations?

Greek symbols are often used as variables in equations to represent quantities such as angles, constants, or variables in algebraic expressions.

3. What is the difference between uppercase and lowercase Greek symbols in math?

Uppercase Greek symbols are typically used to represent constants, while lowercase symbols are used for variables. However, this can vary depending on the specific context or notation being used.

4. Are there any Greek symbols that have multiple meanings in math?

Yes, there are some Greek symbols that can have different meanings depending on the context. For example, delta (δ) can represent change in calculus, but also can represent distance in physics.

5. How can I type Greek symbols in my math equations on the computer?

Most word processing and equation editing programs have a built-in feature for inserting special characters, including Greek symbols. Alternatively, you can use the symbol's corresponding Unicode or HTML code to insert it into your document.