What do stars actually look like from up close?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Nathi ORea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary: The sun has a diameter of about 93 million miles, so if you were to be as close to the sun as Earth is to the moon, the sun would have an angular diameter of only about 0.0005 degrees. That's about the size of a quarter seen from about 1 foot away!The colors of the sun depend on its temperature. The surface of the sun is about 5,500 degrees Fahrenheit, and the outer atmosphere is about 15 million degrees Fahrenheit. The colors are due to absorption and emission of light.You can see the outer atmosphere of the sun by looking at a telescope. The atmosphere is so hot that it vaporizes water, and the water droplets scatter sunlight in all directions. You can
Nathi ORea
TL;DR Summary
What do certain stars look like up close in terms of; colour, and ability to look at.
I have been wondering what certain stars would look like from a closish distance. The kinda size with about the same angular diameter that the Sun has from Earth or bigger. I was mostly wondering about red giants, red supergiants, and red dwarfs.

Like… Would they look red from that sort of distance or white. I mostly ask this because I started this thread (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/blackbody-colour-of-metals-versus-stars.996533/), and got me thinking perhaps they would look white.

How diffuse their outer limb, edge (whatever it is called) would appear to be?

…. and also, would you be able to look at it? Like… Red dwarfs are really faint. Would you simply be able to stare at one without hurting your eyes. Is the light so spread out across a red giants disk that you would be able to look at it?

I guess I am assuming that all the horrible radiation is taken out, like if you are on a planet like Earth.

Is there anything else interesting about being near these stars.

Thanks so much. I learned so much from my last thread!

Naithi.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you lock in the angular diameter then they look about the same whenever the color is about the same. The bluish ones would burn out your retina and then char your skin fairly quickly. Would not matter if it was a white dwarf or a blue supergiant. If it was a white dwarf you must be extremely close in order for it to have the Sun's angular resolution.

With any star you are mostly looking at hot hydrogen and helium with a few contaminants mixed in. It is like turning up an electric stove. The burner gets red when the iron is hot. If you made it hotter it would look white. The puddle under a welding arc has a blue color. It is iron in each case. The glow is black body radiation.

Nathi ORea said:
Summary:: What do certain stars look like up close in terms of; colour, and ability to look at.

I have been wondering what certain stars would look like from a closish distance.
I hope that nobody gets the stupid idea to look close by naked eye or through an ordinary lense!

Means: If you don't want to become blind, you always have to use some filter, so nobody knows the answer. There are several close-up photos of the sun on the internet. My favorite one is this:
Sonne2.jpg

Likes davenn and Klystron

1. What is the closest distance we can get to a star to see its true appearance?

The closest distance we can get to a star is approximately 4.2 light years, which is the distance to our nearest star, Proxima Centauri. However, even at this distance, stars appear as mere points of light due to their immense size and distance from Earth.

2. Do stars appear the same from up close as they do from Earth?

No, stars appear much different from up close compared to how they appear from Earth. From up close, stars can appear much larger and brighter, and their colors may be more vibrant due to the absence of Earth's atmosphere and light pollution.

3. Can we see the surface of a star from up close?

It is not possible to see the surface of a star from up close. Stars are incredibly hot and dense, and their surfaces are constantly changing and emitting intense radiation. It would be impossible for any spacecraft or human to survive close enough to see the surface of a star.

4. Do all stars look the same up close?

No, stars can vary greatly in size, color, and appearance up close. Some stars may be smaller and cooler, while others may be larger and hotter. Additionally, stars can have different compositions and may appear differently depending on their stage of life.

5. Can we take pictures of stars from up close?

Yes, we can take pictures of stars from up close using specialized telescopes and spacecraft. These images can provide valuable information about the physical characteristics of stars and help us better understand their formation and evolution.