What do tau particles DO? What is their function/purpose?

• I
  • Thread starter Joseph Ross Mayhew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, introductory articles and videos on subatomic particles often do not mention the function or purpose of particles such as the Tau lepton. The Tau lepton is a 3rd-generation charged lepton with a mean lifetime of 0.3 picoseconds and no intrinsic purpose. Scientists have faced similar questions in the past when discovering particles like the muon. Some argue that everything in the universe must serve a purpose, but this is not necessarily supported by evidence. Removing particles from the standard model could have significant consequences on the laws of nature and the universe as we know it.
Joseph Ross Mayhew
Almost ALL introductory articles or videos on subatomic particles virtually NEVER tell you what some particles actually DO: what their function or purpose in the grand scheme of things is. The Tau lepton is a good case in point: even the Wikipedia article is absolutely silent regarding what the function or purpose of these heavy leptons is. Will someone PLEASE tell me what they do. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics doesn't ascribe functions or purposes to things. The universe doesn't exist for your (or anyone else's) benefit.

Tau leptons are 3rd-generation charged leptons. They couple to the electroweak interaction just like electrons and muons. They don't couple to the strong interaction. They decay with a mean lifetime of 0.3 picoseconds to a variety of final states, listed here: pdglive.lbl.gov/Particle.action?node=S035

Likes mfb
Tau leptons and other elementary particles have no intrinsic purpose. They simply exist and obey all fundamental laws of nature. If the Tau lepton were stable, or at least had a much longer half-life, we might find some use for them, but those uses would be essentially arbitrary.

Physicists have been faced with this question before, when the muon ("sibling" of the electron and tau) was discovered:

The eventual recognition of the "mu meson" muon as a simple "heavy electron" with no role at all in the nuclear interaction, seemed so incongruous and surprising at the time, that Nobel laureate I. I. Rabi famously quipped, "Who ordered that?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muon

Grrrr This is BOGUS! Every facet of the natural world must serve SOME purpose, or else it wouldn't exist at all. Everything MUST have purpose - it must contribute somethi9ng to the universe at large - otherwise, why would it even exist?

Joseph Ross Mayhew said:
Grrrr This is BOGUS! Every facet of the natural world must serve SOME purpose, or else it wouldn't exist at all. Everything MUST have purpose - it must contribute somethi9ng to the universe at large - otherwise, why would it even exist?
You are making this too philosophical, when really it is all about physics. We know the properties of these particles. Why should we need to know their purpose?
Btw, you should respect these people who are trying to help you instead of taking their knowledge as BOGUS.

Joseph Ross Mayhew said:
function or purpose in the grand scheme of things
What "grand scheme"? :oldwink:

Joseph Ross Mayhew said:
There are other views which must be respected.
I would appreciate a proof that things must have a purpose.

Joseph Ross Mayhew said:
Wait, there's a song from the '60s about this, right? Off to search for it...

hmmmm... ok apologies. It just seems to me that its odd to have things existing without purpose or meaning. Didn't mean to offend. That said, I do think its a bit of a cop-out to say that something doesn't have a function: science is all about figuring out how the universe works: what its made of and how everything works together to make a unified whole. It may ultimately be found that there are in fact some things which serve no function at all, but in the meantime I think its our duty to try to figure out what things are good for - not just their properties.

Joseph Ross Mayhew said:
Every facet of the natural world must serve SOME purpose, or else it wouldn't exist at all.
There is absolutely no evidence supporting that.
What is the "purpose" of a random asteroid flying through the solar system?If you would just remove the tau from the standard model, you wouldn't have gauge anomaly cancellation any more. You would have to modify more to keep a consistent theory. Remove the third generation of quarks? Then you lose CP violation and we would expect a perfect matter/antimatter symmetry, that doesn't lead to a universe as we know it. Change quark charges? That would also lead to a different universe. Same for lepton charges.
Joseph Ross Mayhew said:
hmmmm... ok apologies. It just seems to me that its odd to have things existing without purpose or meaning. Didn't mean to offend. That said, I do think its a bit of a cop-out to say that something doesn't have a function: science is all about figuring out how the universe works: what its made of and how everything works together to make a unified whole. It may ultimately be found that there are in fact some things which serve no function at all, but in the meantime I think its our duty to try to figure out what things are good for - not just their properties.
Assigning a purpose/function to things has nothing to do with physics. You assume that there are some goals. What are those goals? Whatever you define has to be completely arbitrary.

Likes BvU
Thanks Berserkman! Thanks all as well: some things to think about. That said, I DO think that to say something has no purpose is kind of silly: seeking purpose and meaning in the universe should be something science should tackle, within limits: yes, a random asteroid may not have any Grand Meaning, but surely what is called a "fundamental particle", however short-lived, must have some function in making the universe the place we all know and some of us even love :=).

Joseph Ross Mayhew said:
Thanks Berserkman! Thanks all as well: some things to think about. That said, I DO think that to say something has no purpose is kind of silly: seeking purpose and meaning in the universe should be something science should tackle, within limits: yes, a random asteroid may not have any Grand Meaning, but surely what is called a "fundamental particle", however short-lived, must have some function in making the universe the place we all know and some of us even love :=).
The problem, Joseph, is that such an approach leads to debates about pseudoscience and related topics, which we have learned from many years of experience to not allow here. We discuss mainstream science here, and those dicsussions are very valuable.

Please re-read the rules that you agreed to when you joined here, and post within the rules. This thread is closed.

Likes dlgoff and BvU

1. What are tau particles?

Tau particles are subatomic particles that belong to the lepton family. They are similar to electrons and muons, but are much heavier and have a shorter lifespan.

2. What is the function of tau particles?

The main function of tau particles is to participate in the weak nuclear force, one of the four fundamental interactions in nature. They are also involved in certain types of radioactive decay and play a role in the formation of particles in high-energy collisions.

3. How do tau particles differ from other subatomic particles?

Tau particles are unique in that they have a much larger mass than electrons and muons. They also have a shorter lifespan, decaying into other particles within a fraction of a second after being created.

4. What is the purpose of studying tau particles?

Studying tau particles can provide valuable insights into the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe. It can also help us understand the behavior of matter at the subatomic level and potentially lead to new discoveries in the field of particle physics.

5. Can tau particles be used in practical applications?

Currently, there are no known practical applications for tau particles. However, their properties and interactions are still being studied and may potentially have future applications in fields such as medicine and technology.