Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do you think the differences between these scientists were?

1. Mar 21, 2014 #1
    Copernicus, Einsetin, Galileo, Newton, and Aristotle? How did the differ in their ideas and contributions to physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2014 #2
    Is this a homework question?

4. Mar 22, 2014 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

This is far too broad a topic to address in a forum thread.

5. Mar 22, 2014 #4
    Is the answer - One of them was left-handed.

6. Mar 22, 2014 #5

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They were all born on different days?

7. Mar 22, 2014 #6

ShayanJ

Gold Member

They're just too different to mention their differences!
    If it were only Galileo and Newton, there could be an answer.

8. Mar 22, 2014 #7

ChrisVer

Gold Member

yes indeed, the answers can vary because of the divergence in the question.
    I am not sure about everyone, but:
    1) Aristotle was the 1st to propose a "law" of mechanics, which was equivalent to what people used to see and understand in those days. That you act a force and the object moves, so the idea was something like [itex]F=a v[/itex] with a a proportional constant and v the velocity.
    The interesting part in that law is that it holds for motion in very thick liquids (for example the motion of a body in honey).
    The thing with ancient "scientists" or better philosophers is that they didn't really use mathematics in the way they were later come in use. For example there was no differential equation formalism, and most of their ideas were based either on their philosophies or on their observations/phenomenolgy (I push the door,it opens- I push it stronger it opens faster)

9. Mar 22, 2014 #8

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I like ChrisVer's approach to answering the OP's question. Maybe we can state the basic differences between general principles used by scientists in different eras.

10. Mar 22, 2014 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is far too broad. Locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook