What does a more massive neutron star constitute?

In summary, the characteristics of a neutron star include its faster rotation, smaller size, and potentially higher luminosity and pulse strength depending on initial conditions and possible accretion.
tomjennings
a. it rotates faster
b. it is smaller
c. it is more luminous
d. it has stronger pulses

I'm stumped on this practice question for my final. I'm thinking that a. and d. contradict each other since doesn't an older, slower rotating neutron strong emit longer, stronger pulses? C. seems to make a little sense since the more massive a star, the greater its pressure, temperature and thus its luminosity, but that's only for main sequence stars and a neutron star is degenerate so its temperature has no effect on its pressure and its luminosity, right? B. seems to be a trick, but this idea holds for very large stars that have flimsy, expanded outer layers and small, compressed cores with a high mass and low volume, right?

I'm trying to think through this question, but I clearly have no idea what the answer is. Does anybody

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Using conservation of angular momentum, you should be able to consider a properly.

For b remember that neutron stars are neutron stars because the pressure inside of them is dominated by neutron degeneracy pressure, make sure to consider what that means.

For c it looks like you've figured it out.

I don't know much about neutron star pulses though >.>

a. Not necessarily. Depends on initial conditions.
b. False. More mass = more size. Further compression is not possible.
c. Not necessarily, an accreting neutron star can be more luminous.
d. Not necessarily. Related to a.

If you disregard accretion, c is the best choice among these options. A more massive star is larger, hence has more surface area.

Chronos said:
b. False. More mass = more size. Further compression is not possible.

Are you sure Chronos? I've read that adding mass actually decreases the radius of a white dwarf or neutron star. The wiki article on white dwarfs says the same thing too. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WhiteDwarf_mass-radius.jpg

i to thought that increased mass in the case of neutron stars lead to smaller radius due to increased gravity until Tolman–Oppenheimer–Volkoff limit is reached

Maybe it is not monotonic?

"Depends on initial conditions." is the important point for the situation.
- The angular velocity depends on the rotation of the initial star (and maybe influences from other stars nearby, if in a multiple star system)
- The size should depend on the angular velocity
- The luminosity depends on its age, and it is larger if mass is flowing towards the neutron star
- pulse strength depends on the situation, too

1. What is a neutron star and why is it important?

A neutron star is a highly dense celestial object that is created when a massive star dies in a supernova explosion. It is important because it provides scientists with valuable information about the fundamental properties of matter and the universe.

2. How does the mass of a neutron star affect its properties?

A more massive neutron star has a stronger gravitational pull, which results in a higher density and pressure in its core. This can lead to the formation of exotic states of matter, such as quark matter, which cannot be replicated on Earth.

3. What are the consequences of a more massive neutron star?

A more massive neutron star would have a larger radius, higher surface gravity, and a stronger magnetic field compared to a less massive neutron star. It may also have a faster rotation rate, which can result in the emission of powerful electromagnetic radiation.

4. How do scientists measure the mass of a neutron star?

Scientists use various methods to measure the mass of a neutron star, such as observing its interaction with a companion star in a binary system, analyzing its gravitational effects on nearby objects, or studying its pulsations and oscillations.

5. Can a neutron star become more massive over time?

Yes, a neutron star can gain mass over time through accretion, which is the process of pulling in material from a nearby star or interstellar medium. This can also cause the neutron star to spin faster and generate more energy, making it even more massive and energetic.