What does a "phase reversal" really do?

• I
  • Thread starter cmlee1324
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of phase in thin film interference and how it affects the interference patterns created by superimposed rays of light. The purpose of considering phase is to determine if there is any destructive interference, and it can be crucial in cases where the rays intersect and their responses are added together.
cmlee1324
While learning about thin film interference, I see diagrams quite often that display waves being inverted. For instance, a wave that bounces off outside the film is inverted because it is going from air to film (lower to higher index of refraction) while a wave that bounces INSIDE the film is not inverted (higher to lower index of refraction). This got me thinking.

Why do phase "reversals" (what my teacher calls a phase change of 180 I think) matter? If light is still in the same location at the same angle, why does the phase matter? Does light appear different when it has a different phase? If the period of light is so ridiculously fast, why would a nanosecond difference in phase appear different?

If this question makes no sense from the view of someone with more knowledge on the subject, may I request a very basic explanation of waves and how they interact with thin films and an eye?

Science news on Phys.org
A phase shift of 180 degrees is not visible, but if we have two superimposed rays of light having opposite phase then we will find cancellation.

Likes cmlee1324
So the only purpose of taking phase into account is to see if there is any destructive interference?

If so, why would that be necessary when talking about thin film interference? I would assume that there are no interactions between the rays; they glance off into infinity.

Do the rays interact? Is that the reason why 1 vs 2 phase reversals gives different equations for constructive and destructive interference? (m or m+1/2)

cmlee1324 said:
So the only purpose of taking phase into account is to see if there is any destructive interference?
Yes, pretty much. At least in a general interpretation. Although it's "interference" not just destructive interference.

cmlee1324 said:
If so, why would that be necessary when talking about thin film interference? I would assume that there are no interactions between the rays; they glance off into infinity.
Some may go different places. But some paths meet at a cell on your retina, or the photocell in your instrument. At that point the response they create is the result of addition, in which case phase can be really important. Like adding two vectors up, direction matters. Same with light.

Likes cmlee1324 and hutchphd

1. What is a phase reversal?

A phase reversal is when the polarity of a signal is inverted, meaning the positive and negative components are switched. This results in a 180-degree shift in the waveform.

2. How does a phase reversal affect sound or electrical signals?

A phase reversal can change the overall timbre or tone of a sound, making it sound more hollow or thin. In electrical signals, it can cause cancellation or reinforcement of certain frequencies.

3. When is a phase reversal used in audio engineering?

A phase reversal is commonly used in audio engineering to correct phase issues when recording multiple microphones or instruments. It can also be used for creative purposes in music production.

4. Can a phase reversal fix phase cancellation?

In some cases, a phase reversal can fix phase cancellation by inverting the polarity of one of the signals. However, it is not always a guaranteed solution and other techniques may be necessary.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a phase reversal?

One potential drawback of using a phase reversal is that it can affect the overall volume of the signal. In some cases, it may also introduce unwanted noise or artifacts. It is important to use it carefully and only when necessary.