What does A_{[α}B_{β]} mean and how do you write TeX on the forum?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter bigplanet401
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
bigplanet401
Messages
101
Reaction score
0
I. What does

A_{[\alpha} B_{\beta]}

mean? How do you expand this?

II. How do you put TeX in board posts?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bigplanet401 said:
I. What does

A_{[\alpha} B_{\beta]}

mean? How do you expand this?

II. How do you put TeX in board posts?

[ tex ] A_{[\alpha} B_{\beta]} [ /tex ] (remove the spaces in the tags)
[tex]A_{[\alpha} B_{\beta]}[/tex] (click the on the equation to see)

[tex]A_{[\alpha} B_{\beta]} =\frac{1}{2!}\left( A_{\alpha} B_{\beta} - A_{\beta} B_{\alpha} \right)[/tex] the "antisymmetric part of [tex]A_{\alpha} B_{\beta}[/tex]"
 
It's not necessary to use the numerical factor (we call it "weght"). See for example the em. tensor in vacuum. U can use the "no number convention" (i use it)

[tex]F_{\mu\nu}\equiv F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=:\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]}[/tex]

or the one Rob exemplified, when an ugly 2 comes up

[tex]F_{\mu\nu}\equiv F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=:2 \partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]}[/tex]

Daniel.
 
And for symmetrizing, we use round brackets. For example, the linearized graviton field has the irreducible Lagrangian infinitesimal gauge transformations

[tex]\delta_{\epsilon}h_{\left(\mu\nu\right)}(x) =\partial_{(\mu}\epsilon_{\nu)}(x)[/tex]

or with the "2", if you use an analogue convention Rob used.

Daniel.
 
While the combinatorial factor I used may be conventional, I believe it is the preferred convention. See, for example, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/AntisymmetricTensor.html

Note that the "symmetric part" of a matrix is [tex]\frac{1}{2}(A+A^T)[/tex] and the "antisymmetric part" of a matrix is [tex]\frac{1}{2}(A-A^T)[/tex]. (Similarly, the "real part of a complex number z" is [tex]\frac{1}{2}(z+\bar z)[/tex] and "imaginary part of a complex number z" is [tex]\frac{1}{2i}(z-\bar z)[/tex].)

So, one can write the matrix equation
[tex]A= A_{SYM} + A_{ANTISYM}[/tex]
and an analogous tensorial equation
[tex]\begin{align*}<br /> A_{ab} &= <br /> \frac{1}{2}( A_{ab} + A_{ba} )+<br /> \frac{1}{2}( A_{ab} - A_{ba} )<br /> \\<br /> &=<br /> A_{(ab)} + A_{[ab]} \\<br /> \end{align*}[/tex]

Note, if A is antisymmetric, then we can write
[tex]A_{ab} = A_{[ab]}[/tex].



dextercioby said:
It's not necessary to use the numerical factor (we call it "weght"). See for example the em. tensor in vacuum. U can use the "no number convention" (i use it)

[tex]F_{\mu\nu}\equiv F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=:\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]}[/tex]

or the one Rob exemplified, when an ugly 2 comes up

[tex]F_{\mu\nu}\equiv F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=:2 \partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]}[/tex]

Daniel.

I think there is an inconsistency in your use of the brackets in the "no number convention" [tex]F_{\mu\nu}\equiv F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=:\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]}[/tex]

If "bracket" means "sum the alternating permutations without dividing by the combinatorial factor", then you must write for an antisymmetric F:
[tex]F_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}=\frac{1}{2}(F_{\mu\nu}-F_{\nu\mu})[/tex] or [tex]2F_{\mu\nu}=F_{\left[\mu\nu\right]}[/tex]
 
dextercioby said:
I didn't in any place claim that

[tex]F_{[\mu\nu]}=F_{\mu\nu}-F_{\nu\mu}[/tex]

So no inconsistency. Whatsoever.

Daniel.

So, maybe I am misunderstanding what your "no number convention" is.
What does [tex]\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]}[/tex] mean in your convention?
[tex]\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]}\stackrel{?}{=}\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}[/tex] or
[tex]\partial_{[\mu}A_{\nu]}\stackrel{?}{=}\frac{1}{2!}\left(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}A_{\mu}\right)[/tex]?