1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does c.c. in equation represent?

1. Aug 20, 2013 #1
    Hi, I am reading up on current injection in semiconductor and in the derivation of the current injection, the equation goes like this

|K|2= ... +Eb(-w) + c.c.

Does anyone knows what does c.c. represent?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Just a guess, but I'd go with complex conjugate.

4. Aug 20, 2013 #3
    This one doesn't look like a complex conjugate, since it's an operation not an additive quantity.
    To OP: You just have to give more context, but the chances are that it's explained in the original text.

5. Aug 20, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure how you determined that. After all, there's a plus sign right before "c.c."

6. Aug 20, 2013 #5
    The author is trying to derive the current injection into semiconductor via quantum interference. In his working before this, he is trying to expand a complex equation and the next step is the final result. He did not mention what the c.c. means so I am thinking it might be complex conjugate but I am not sure.

My bad that I did not mention its a complex function :(

7. Aug 21, 2013 #6
    It means complex conjugate of everything that's written down before it. So for example [tex] \psi_1^* \psi_2 + \psi_2^* \psi_3 + c.c. = \psi_1^* \psi_2 + \psi_1 \psi_2^* + \psi_2^* \psi_3 + \psi_2 \psi_3^* [/tex]
    Sometimes you also see "h.c.", which stands for hermitian conjugate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted