1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular waveguide wave-equation

1. Aug 27, 2007 #1
    I am solving the wave-equation (more specifically Helmholtz Eq.) in cylindrical coordinates.
    I've seperated the equation into 3 ODE's.
    - The radial differential equation
    - The phase differential equation
    - The z differential equation (direction of which the EM wave propagates)

My issue is the solution to the phase's differential equation. It has the simple solution:
    [tex] Ae^{im\phi}+c.c. [/tex] (easy to prove).

Why is 'm' an integer?
    Are the phases 'quantised'?

I've read in many books that m must be an integer to allow continuity at [tex] 2\pi [/tex], but thats as far as they go...I'm very confused...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] Ae^{im\phi}+c.c. [/tex] is just 2Acos(m*phi) (at least if A is real). As phi is an angular coordinate then the value of the solution at phi must equal to the value of the solution at phi+2pi because they represent the same point. Hence, m is an integer. The phase isn't quantized, 'm' is quantized by the requirement that solution be single valued.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  4. Aug 28, 2007 #3
    Your exact explanation to 'm' is whats confusing me...
    I understand that phi must equal phi+2pi, but how do you go about saying that m*phi allows the relation (or phase continuity) phi+2pi to be satisfied??

5. Aug 28, 2007 #4
    The condition

[tex] \cos[m (\phi + 2 \pi)] \equiv \cos[m \phi + 2 m \pi] = \cos[m \phi] [/tex]

can be satisfied only if m is integer.

Eugene.

6. Aug 28, 2007 #5
    Thanks Eugene, I was thinking about the problem in too much depth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?