Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Circular waveguide wave-equation

1. Aug 27, 2007 #1
    I am solving the wave-equation (more specifically Helmholtz Eq.) in cylindrical coordinates.
    I've seperated the equation into 3 ODE's.
    - The radial differential equation
    - The phase differential equation
    - The z differential equation (direction of which the EM wave propagates)

My issue is the solution to the phase's differential equation. It has the simple solution:
    [tex] Ae^{im\phi}+c.c. [/tex] (easy to prove).

Why is 'm' an integer?
    Are the phases 'quantised'?

I've read in many books that m must be an integer to allow continuity at [tex] 2\pi [/tex], but thats as far as they go...I'm very confused...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] Ae^{im\phi}+c.c. [/tex] is just 2Acos(m*phi) (at least if A is real). As phi is an angular coordinate then the value of the solution at phi must equal to the value of the solution at phi+2pi because they represent the same point. Hence, m is an integer. The phase isn't quantized, 'm' is quantized by the requirement that solution be single valued.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  4. Aug 28, 2007 #3
    Your exact explanation to 'm' is whats confusing me...
    I understand that phi must equal phi+2pi, but how do you go about saying that m*phi allows the relation (or phase continuity) phi+2pi to be satisfied??

5. Aug 28, 2007 #4
    The condition

[tex] \cos[m (\phi + 2 \pi)] \equiv \cos[m \phi + 2 m \pi] = \cos[m \phi] [/tex]

can be satisfied only if m is integer.

Eugene.

6. Aug 28, 2007 #5
    Thanks Eugene, I was thinking about the problem in too much depth.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook