What does complex potential energy mean for a particle?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Griffith says in problem 1.15 the potential energy has an imaginary part. my question is that any real case exists where the part of the potential energy is imaginary?
upload_2018-8-19_20-44-22.png

Attachments

Answers and Replies

hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
thanks for the reply.

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Sigh :-(. Is this again from Griffiths's QM textbook? I cannot understand how an expert of the subject can be so sloppy and confusing for students. That's the more ununderstandable since he's obviously a brillant teacher of physics, as one can get from reading is electromagnetics textbook and many articles in AJP.

To understand "decay", particularly the exponential-decay law (which is necessarily an approximation only), you need to consider time-dependent perturbation theory. The standard treatment is known as Wigner-Weisskopf approximation. Here's a very clear derivation on the example of spontaneous emission, but it's of course applicable very generally

https://www.mpi-hd.mpg.de/personalhomes/palffy/Files/Spontaneous.pdf

Sigh :-(. Is this again from Griffiths's QM textbook? I cannot understand how an expert of the subject can be so sloppy and confusing for students. That's the more ununderstandable since he's obviously a brillant teacher of physics, as one can get from reading is electromagnetics textbook and many articles in AJP.

To understand "decay", particularly the exponential-decay law (which is necessarily an approximation only), you need to consider time-dependent perturbation theory. The standard treatment is known as Wigner-Weisskopf approximation. Here's a very clear derivation on the example of spontaneous emission, but it's of course applicable very generally

https://www.mpi-hd.mpg.de/personalhomes/palffy/Files/Spontaneous.pdf
Thank you.